Inspiron 14 3000 (i5) or Thinkpad X1 Carbon (i5)??

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Without considering the price of course I can immediately tell Thinkpad X1 Carbon i5 is the choice

Both Inspiron 14 3000 and Thinkpad X1 Carbon come with 5th gen i5 CPU but Thinkpad X1 has a Full HD Monitor and 128GB SSD, where Inspiron 14 3000 does not... (500GB HDD)

I need a laptop, but I don't play any games or draw any 3D graphics, I use it mainly for some simple entertainment (web browsing, watching videos..) or doing with word and excel....

I don't really care about the resolution of the monitor, so Full HD is not something very attractive to me, I am more concerned about the hard drives, whether 500GB HDD (Inspiron) or 128GB SDD (Carbon)

A laptop will be brought around and sometimes not turned OFF and I don't know if 500GB HDD would fail or fall short quickly because of the movement.... as a common habit of using laptop

A lot of web articles comment that a laptop with SSD will probably last much much longer than a laptop without it. And I know there have been a lot of positive comments towards SSD.

But the price for X1 Carbon is approx. 450 USD higher than the Inspiron 14 3000....
Of course it has other advantages like Full HD monitor, longer battery life... but this is not very important to me.

What do you think? I don't know if it worths spending 450 USD more for the Carbon X1

Inspiron 14 3000 - 5th gen i5; 8GB RAM; 14'' Mon; 500GB; GeForce® 820M 2GB DDR3; 4-Cell Battery approx. USD 635

ThinkPad X1 Carbon - 5th gen i5; 8GB RAM ; 14" Full HD Mon; 128GB SDD; no video card; Integrated Lithium Polymer 8-cell , RapidCharge battery

Hello brannsiu

If you check this link, it says you have an option to have either eMMC or HDD in your Dell laptop.

If I were you, I would have gone for Dell Inspiron with 500 HDD and worked with it for a while. If I was satisfied with the performance, I would have continued using the HDD. On the other hand, if the situation was otherwise, I would have bought an external SSD, used it as the main drive with OS installed, and have started using the HDD for files and documents storage.

To confirm, you can also check with the Dell’s Customer Care team if the eMMC can be replaced with the SSD in the laptop.

The bottom line is, you should always go for a laptop with better specs regardless of the types and numbers of the removable peripherals/parts such as RAM or HDD that it has. This is because any such parts can be replaced or upgraded anytime when you desire.

Hope this helps.

csnoob

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014
The question is more about do you prefer to make a couple of compromises and get the dell inspirion and have that 400$ in your pocket or will you go for the expensive one?

The lenovo will be much faster with the SSD and has fewer chances of getting a hard drive failure but I think for the price it doesn't have nearly enough specs. I mean 128GB is nothing, The OS takes 20, a few programs and a couple of files will fill this SSD up making it slower and proving a challenge to maintain free space.

I highly suggest you get a Dell XPS 13, here in the UK at least you can get for £1000 a 256GB SSD, 8GB of RAM, FHD and an 6th generation i7!!!
You might say it's a smaller than the others but it is superior to them both (except if you pay 2000£ for the better x1 models).

It has a Skylane i7, not an i5 of an older gen.
It is lighter & much smaller than both.
It has 256GB of SSD which beats both of the other two you are considering.
The screen is excellent, just as in the X1, the keyboard is probably a bit worse than the X1 but that's pretty much the only compromise.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

If I were to get a Dell XPS 13, why wouldn't I get a Thinkpad Carbon X1 (i7) instead? Their prices are close with similar specs. Carbon X1 i7 has 8GB and 256SSD with FHD reolution as well, it also has rapidcharge battery. More importantly, it claims to pass through a number of military tests which mean it could withstand at least some real harsh environments.

By the way, I think Lenovo Thinkpad (which was IBM) should make a better quality of computer than Dell shouldn't they??

csnoob

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014

Could you please post he links to both laptops, because here in the UK the Lenovo X1ccosts a lot more, at least £400-£600 more.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

sorry but the web is private for education offer. I cannot quote the price here.

May I know what the price is for your a THinkpad carbon X1 i5 8GB together with 128SSD FHD in your area??

and what is the price for a Thinkpad X250 i5 4GB RAM with 1T HDD and 3+3 dual battery??

I'd like to compare myself which one is a better offer here.

THanks for your

csnoob

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014

Sure, here in the UK the base model of the X1 costs £1,286.79 which is $1989.51 (absolutely ridiculous)
The one with 256GB SSD costs £1,848.79 = $2858.51 (That's way worse than apple)

URL: http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/#mash

The X250 starts at £735 ($1136.75) with the dual battery. But the X250 gives shit specs for the money.

URL: http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x250/#mash

---

Could you PM me the prices for the X1? I am a student myself looking for a productivity laptop. Currently eyeing the XPS 13.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

hi, I have read your links but it looks like Lenovo sells at much higher price in UK than many countries. Does UK have high sales tax?? I don't know anything about UK

The offer I have here is - X250 intel i5-5200U 4GB DDR3L 1600MHz 1TB HDD (5400rpm) 12.5" FHD, IPS, Anti-glare (1920 x 1080) 3+3 battery backlit keyboard sold at approx US 770

and Carbon X1 here is intel i5-5200U 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz 128GB SSD 14" FHD, Anti-glare (1920 x 1080) ; Integrated battery with rapidcharge backlit keyboard sold at approx US 1070

I am interested in the X250 , is it a shit price??
Which one is of better value??

csnoob

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014

Hmm well the x250 has a very small screen and 4GB is the bare minimum for any laptop. On the other hand the x1 has a bigger screen (in a great size imo) and has more ram, it also has SSD which should make it significantly faster, but you'll have trouble fitting everything on 128GB, so you should use an external drive for file storage. If I was you I'd definitely go for the x1 because it might not be perfect but it's pretty close.

What are you planning on using the laptop for btw? Casual use or heavy use? What programs do you usually run?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Yes I am hesitating between X250 and Carbon X1 for some time

getting Carbon X1 will cost USD 296 (or UK 193) here than X250

In return I will get a larger monitor of same resolution, 8GB instead of 4GB, 128 SSD instead of 1000GB mechanical drive. Totally integrated cell instead of 3+3 dual cell.

In fact, I will only use my PC for simple web browsing, busy and uploading files frequently from and to the cloud storage or youtube. This is all I will do with my PC.

For the same resolution of monitor, 12.5" or 14" is no big deal to me.
The really headache is the choice between a 128 SSD and 1000GB mechanical drive. 128SSD is good, but yes it's a margin but I don't really want to bring an external HDD with me outdoor, it's really a mess. X250 without SSD is good because I don't need an external drive but the worry is if a laptop with vibrating components is a bad thing, degrading the service life of the hard drive. Data is very valuable

There is 256SSD option for X1 Carbon here together with i7, but it will cost an extra USD 219. A total of USD 515 more that it's really a big gap, I might not think about that.

Just to say, do you think spending USD 296 more for 4GB RAM more , 128SSD, bigger mon, fully integrated battery is worth the money??

csnoob

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014

Well I have a saying I use myself, "If it's something you'll be using everyday, it's worth the money."

Having a hard drive is not such a good thing, but hey every laptop had one 3-4 years ago. It will be faster and safer and faster with the SSD thought. You can always get a low profile usb stick for more storage, I have a 16GB USB 3 memory stick that's like my nail..

Also consider that the 12.5" screen is quite small, will you be happy to youtube, type and generally work on such a small screen? I mean personally I think 14" is perfect, but I can't get the x1 so I'll settle for the XPS 13. I suggest you try and make a paper-copy of the laptop to check it;s size.

Also think of how future proof your machine will be. The hard drive is more sensitive than the SSD, 4GB of RAM is just about enough for browsing & light MS Word file editing simultaneously. Also just so you know, the 256GB version of the lenovo is PCI SSD and not SATA SSD which means that the 256GB version will have almost double the write ad read speeds.

To conclude:
X250 - not future proof, will be fine for your kind of work but you should expect significantly slower performance. 5 tabs on chrome and a MS Word will be the limit really. Slower startup times. Although it is quite smaller so should be able to carry around, also it will fit all the files you need and all the programs you want. Overall a mediocre laptop, the Dell inspirion should offer more for the money.

X1 - Quite more expensive, but should last a few years longer than the x250, good RAM, fast SSD, (very fast if you get the 256GB), good battery life, excellent size screen and excellent keyboard (like the x250). It will load (time is money right) and perform faster and should withstand more rough usage than almost all other laptops.If you get the i7 with the PCI SSD it will be the perfect configuration in my opinion, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

I think you will by no means regret getting the X1, can't say the same thing for the X250.

Hope I was helpful man :D

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Thanks for you awesome comment.. It's really awesome and helpful for making decisions among many choices...

i7 - I am pretty sure that I will waste this CPU because I will definitely not doing any graphics or playing any (100% ) 3D or 2D games (no games at all, I am not interested in playing games). I will definitely not consider i7 with 256 SSD although we know it's the best one. (Yes, if money was not a problem to me, I would not be here :)) )

As for 4GB or 8GB, I have been researching on the web and many articles suggest that 4GB RAM is perfectly fine for windows 8 and 10. It is said that win 8 and win 10 take even less RAM than win 7. I remember their conclusion is - 8GB add very little % of advantage to the overall speed which is something gimmick for most users... This is really a headache

Yes, I know X1 is good, but the price gap is big - Once again, X250 here is $ 774 (usd) and Carbon X1 here is $ 1070 (usd).

Or should I get a even cheaper laptop - Dell Inspiron 14 3000 series? Which is i5-5th gen too, together with 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 6 hours of battery life but the price is $658 (usd) Except the battery life and the capacity of HDD (500GB and 1000GB is no difference to me at all) , it even has 8GB RAM.

To put it simply, yes I can go for Carbon X1 (i5), but it looks like a lot of people saying that 128GB is simply just not enough and I REALLY REALLY DO NOT WANT to bring an external hard drive or USB flash stick with me

still headache

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
In addition, I have been thinking about getting a Macbook Pro with Retina Display or a Macbook Air. I can also get some student discount here, since most Macbook uses SSD drive, it's great with lots of choices, however, the military tested feature of Lenovo X250 or carbon X1 is one of the most attractive reason for me, I will be using my laptop in crowded McDonalds, starbucks, dusty construction sites (I work in offices at construction sites)

I don't know if Apple devices would have sealed their hardware inside pretty well. At least they do not claim anything about military standard.

csnoob

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014
Well if you have the money for a macbook pro you certainly have the money for a better X1 ;)

For that price I think the x1 with the 256GB is a steal but nevertheless I understand your constrains. Here are a few suggestions:

ASUS Zenbook UX305FA
The best option, it's much cheaper and has
- 1920x1080 13.3" screen
- Good battery life
- 8GB of RAM
- 256GB SSD
- 679$ price tag

but it also has
- Weaker processor running at 0.8Ghz (to save battery life) which can't handle a lot
- Not as sturdy as the X1
- Not as good keyboard as the lenovo laptops

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232393&leaderboard=1

Inspiron 15 7000 series (7559)
For 800$ (Dell has a student discount as well) you'll get:
- Very powerful processor
- 8GB of RAM
- 1TB of HDD storage
- A 4GB freaking graphics card (HQ gaming etc)
- 15.6" inch FHD display

on the down side thought
- Not as great battery life (thought it has a 74W battery)
- Heavier
- Bulkier

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

So at the moment you have the Lenovo laptops that re not enough or too expensive, the Apple notebooks which you shouldn't buy cause they are overpriced (although amazing laptops), the ASUS laptop that is just perfect but doesn't have that much horsepower or the Dell Inspirion that is very strong but not so mobile (keep in mind in the future you can change the HDD to an SSD in most laptops).

I would go for the X1 with 256GB if I could afford it because it is really PERFECT. But if you can make a few compromises on build quality and getting a little a weaker laptop (CPU) the ASUS is amazing for the money!

Hope you make the right choice man!

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

I will not put Dell or Asus into consideration because otherwise than Apple, I like and trust only Thinkpad because they are well-reputed and I owned a Thinkpad years ago. It's something about personal preference. It's something about impression.

And as I said, military-standard on Thinkpad X250 or carbon X1 is VERY attractive to me. Dell or Asus doesn't look like having any claims on that.

The X1 256GB offered is MUST come with i7-5th gen which is too luxury. Student price at USD 1290
X1 128GB here is i5-5th gen and 8GB RAM. Student price at USD 1070
X250 here is i5-5th gen 1000GB mechanical drive with 4GB RAM, FHD IPS 1980. Student price is USD 770

Which one is the best ''steal'' ??

csnoob

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014

They are all good and equally priced.

If you won't compromise on brand, then you'll have to compromise on other stuff. I think you want me to say that the X250 is good enough and you should buy it, and that's true, it's good enough, it'll be great for a non-heavy user. You might be able to replace the HDD with an SSD even later. So if you cannot afford the 256SSD X1, and you cannot compromise on the storage (you can get away with 128GB btw, you'll just have like 50GB for files.) then buy the X250, you can always sell it and buy another one later.

Anyway, I won't be replying any more on this thread but I hope I helped you make a choice, (been there done that, making the actual choice is hard). So do your research on whether if can you work with 128GB and then make a coffee, sit down, and decide!

Good luck mate!

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
finally I picked thinkpad x250 i5-5200 ,4GB RAM, 1000GB 5400rpm, 12.5" IPS Anti-Glare FHD, 3+3 dual battery, at around USD 775 . I hope this is not a regretful decision....... Although I really want 8GB RAM and 128SSD, but I don't like 14" mon in return for the bigger size it comes out. and USD 300 more for that. Almost half of the price of the laptop

I don't know if it's a bad choice or not that I don't choose SSD at last. Partly because of price, partly because of the capacity

csnoob

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014

I think it's a good choice! The laptop is definitely fast enough for what you want to do! You can always upgrade the hdd to an ssd. Hope this is the right choice!

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

i hope i am fine with this laptop
i will keep it as clean and simple as possible

only doing basic and simple web browsing and downloading

hope 4GB RAM is enough

14" is good but the size is big

Wish future laptop would further cut off the edge, making a bigger screen but smaller overall size.

Size is very important

It keeps me away from the awesome carbon x1 after many days of thoughts