Best Antivirus Software and Apps (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul NZ

Admirable
No you dont. I've never bothered with using a separate Av or firewall. I'm still here.

They're all a waste of money. NOD32 is probably the only one worth getting. If I did use t

James_397

Estimable
Oct 10, 2016

Yet another silly thread. If you have Windows installed, use Defender... period. Stop listening to all the third-party marketing hype. There is no need for anything other than what comes with the OS.

Audcurr

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
I think customer service should be taken into consideration as well. Bitdefender is the worst, I bought it and the activation key wouldn't work, it took for ever to get it straighten out and they are quite rude.

jackj59

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Fwiw, dealing with an issue now, of virus and/or malware, and after running bitdefender and it clearing what it found, I ran malwarebytes and it found over 10 more instances of malware. So though one shouldn't run live more than one at a time, I recommend having malwarebytes and run it periodically, too.

jackj59

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Correction: including PUP's - from something called AnonymizerGadget - malwarebytes now found hundreds of more that bitdefender, avast and TrendMicro all missed when using their free online scan. And they aren't simply "potentially" unwanted programs, that AnonymizerGadget is defintely mal/spy/virus ware.

Alan_K

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I'm curious about why you didn't test Norton Internet Security. Not that I'm advocating it; indeed I look forward very much to spitting on Symantec's grave some day and only found this article while looking for alternatives. (That was after I found that Norton charged me three times for two subscriptions last year because they set up two automatic deductions on one of the subscription accounts. They then refused to refund the double payment because it was out of the "60 day guarantee period". Burn. In. Hell, Symantec.) However given that Norton would have a not-insignificant market share I would have thought that it would have been one of the ones to test. I would have been curious to see how it performed.

Paul NZ

Admirable
Yup most of them are a waste of money.

Doesnt matter what you get. And if you're stupid enough to use programs like Utorrent and get dodgy programs.

Whats the point in having one anyway. Any AV program doesnt detect everything. And your system will end up infected anyway

Bill_123

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
For people who seem to think anti virus programs are waste of time if they go on the internet and they depend on windows to protect them I would say there is a 99.9 percent chance they are already infected with some form of virus or malware. I have found that the better ones are VERY hard to breach and although it is still possible to get a virus the odds are slim to none. Without them your almost guaranteed you will pick something up in short order is just a fact in the modern age. The biggest issues I have is how much do they impact computer performance and how good is their detection. Some are like dropping a boat anchor dragging your computer down some almost unnoticeable. So instead of spreading viruses to all your friends and family get a good virus program and save yourself and everyone you know a lot of grief.

espressonator

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
Why isn't there a comparison chart? I've used Avast for years; it's free, and it's very good. Why did not Mr. Tom mention Avast as either better or worse than these paid products? My guess is that Mr. Tom is really acting as an advertiser. If he were "non-partisan", then I think he would provide a comparison chart or so to explain why it's worthwhile to pay for products like this instead.

Bill_123

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

You can find dozens if not more reviews on AV programs all of them will vary on who and why they think one is better than another. If you want to believe Avast free is the top choice based on your experience you can find a review to tell you that. Tomsguide is just that a guide based on things they feel are important. Pay programs come with many more features! If you feel you don't need or want these features then without a doubt they are not a good choice for you. What I want and need in a AV is very specific and might not be suitable for you. Same for most people there is no ONE SIZE fits all. It does not make them dishonest or biased just makes them have their own opinion no more or less. I come to this site for their opinion for a good reason I respect there opinions whether I agree with them or not.

jraju1954

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Hi, I think that most of the av app for android is always running type taking phone battery resources. Is there a demand type scan antivirus prog for android in free version. Would someone say. i tried avast, it gives protection, but i do not know whether it has a demand type run of program. It does not have a user control install of its acessory software . Anybody knows

tizziocaio

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

bitdefender dont like it because forces to make an account and sign in before using it..like "meh rly?"
Also does way to often background scans and updates like 10 times every day...

boma23

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I was running a repair and IT solutions shop a few years back. We regularly installed a free solution on MACs that came in, ahnd a busy week might see 5 - 8 Macs in the shop at once. Sophos free (which is what we used at the time) probably found nasties on around 60% of Macs that came in without protection. Make of that what you will, if you are in the "AV for mac is pointless" camp.

Thomas_223

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
Sophos auto-update is the worst. Hangs your computer until it completes. No way to stop it or schedule it. Kills productivity until it hopefully finishes or fails and you have to try again.

Nickynike

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
AVG is a very good freebie. It finds viruses and scans emails. Yet, no mention. Then I scan with Malwarebytes, again free.

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
so microsoft did not pay there way into getting the definitions from the independent security institutes it seems ... because no one heard about av-studios "optimizing" their results in these tests ... ever ...

Sue_21

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
I have always used trend micro and I noticed they are not there. and it is really getting pricey $268 for virus. so i am looking for one that is not as expensive but as good
any recommendations please

Chris_361

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
I agree that Kaspersky is far and away the best and nowadays uses the least resources . I don't know how they did it but it's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.