Can't get old DOS games (94-95) to detect my midi/digital audio card on a VMWare Virtual Machine on Win2000

Clive_12

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015
I can't get games like System Shock or I have no mouth and i must scream to work because it does not detect my sound card. I try to select "Creative Labs Sound blaster or 100% compatible" and when i "attempt to configure sound driver automatically" it says ERROR XMIDI SOUND HARDWARE NOT FOUND, CHECK DRIVER TYPE AND CONFIGURATION, i don't know much about DOS so i have no idea how to solve this.
- VMWare Workstation 10 (with VMWare tools)
- Windows 2000 Server Family

Your DOS game does not see your soundcard, it sees a virtual computer as it is configured in VMWare Workstation. So, the virtual machine you have created must have "sound card" configured, and matching the configuration in the DOS.

BTW - if you are running Win2000 on that computer, you could probably run DOS straight into it as well.

Clive_12

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015
The sound card which is configured on "Virtual Machine Settings" is the default host sound card. I think that would be "Realtek HD Audio 2nd Output".
Also, i can run newer games like Deus Ex or Half Life without problems of any kind.