Probably dumb question about unlocking sempron 140 core

thecdn

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
If I unlock the second core on a an Asus motherboard with core unlocker, is that core unlocked permanently on that cpu or only if it remains on the mobo with core unlocker?

I'm assuming the answer is it must remain on the mobo with core unlocker but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I'm buying a new mobo and keeping my existing cpu for it. I'm putting my existing mobo in my son's machine and bought the sempron 140 as the cheapest cpu for it. After buying it I found out about it's core unlocking and overclocking abilities. Would be nice if I could unlock that second core on his machine, which will be running my current asus m2n-sli deluxe mobo. Again, I'm not expecting to get a positive answer but thought I'd ask. I will be oc'ing this cpu in the new setup.

Thanks for any info.

Solution
Yes. You must use the cpu on a board with the acc or core unlocker feature. Changing the setting does not permanently alter the cpu internally. My sempron 140 won't post with the second core unlocked, so I know the core is bad and should remain disabled.

o1die

Distinguished
May 16, 2001
Yes. You must use the cpu on a board with the acc or core unlocker feature. Changing the setting does not permanently alter the cpu internally. My sempron 140 won't post with the second core unlocked, so I know the core is bad and should remain disabled.

Solution