Need help choosing the right laptop for PHD

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hello and thank you for any responses! Basically my mam is doing her PHD this year and needs a good laptop for programming and such and asked for advice, she was recommended an iMac but i believe that she could probably get a much more affordable laptop for what she needs (As an iMac is around ~2000 zone), Anyway this is list of roughly what she needs to be able to run:

-Matlab 2014
-Physc toolbox (maybe "list" was an exaggeration)

This laptop will under go a lot of stress as it will be used constantly while running multiple programs at once, from the description i gathered she will roughly need 8gbs RAM 2.5-3ghz CPU and a small SSD as she has a 1TB external HDD (she also mentioned she needs a decent GPU) i am quite a scrub when it comes to this sort of thing and have not got the slightest idea where to begin my search, any suggestion is valid and thank you very much for any responses!

Joshua.C

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I found a very good laptop for the price which should cover everything (lenovo Y50) il leave thread open in case anyone thinks there is a better one for the price.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
this may just be my own ignorance, but how does someone who is doing a PhD in programming NOT know which hardware he/she would need to do that PhD????

nodice-_-

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

She is doing a PHD in psychology but has to do light programming for computer based experiments nothing major.