Narrowed down to 3 laptops - can't decide

Sarramy

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
HI all, this is my first time posting here... hello! I've seen several threads like this so I hope it's okay to post one more.

Later this week I am going to be buying a new laptop and I'm trying to decide on which one specifically. Currently I've narrowed down my choices to three, but now I'm at a loss. I do computer gaming as well as graphic design and 3D modeling so I need something that can handle all of that (not all at the same time, I don't have multiple thousands of dollars to invest :lol:). Basically I'm looking for something that can play WoW and FFXIV on highest graphic settings, as well as easily run Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign (all run at the same time), and also work well with Blender, Autodesk Maya, and 3dsmax.

Here are my current choices:
MSI GE Series GE72 Apache Pro-077
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152817

MSI GE Series GE72 Apache Pro-242
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152928

MSI GS Series GS70 Stealth Pro-097
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152682

Thanks for your thoughts and help. :)

raisonjohn

Estimable
Herald
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, here are my thoughts.... I'll try to slice up all the information so we can arrive at a simpler question on which one to really pick among these 3 laptops you are having trouble choosing. Here goes:

Based on your needs (and not your wants), the primary deciding point among the 3 laptops you are considering is that you are better off with choosing the one with the highest CPU core clock and RAM capacity/speeds and faster/larger storage capacity (multi-tasking and rendering/editing).

Among the 3 choices, both the Apache Pro-077 and the Apache Pro-242 have 2.70GHz 5th-gen i7 and 16GB RAM, while the Stealth only has a 2.50GHz 4th-gen i7 and same 16GB RAM.

From what I see, the Stealth's real advantage is the inclusion of a built-in large capacity 384-GB SSD storage + a 1 TB HDD. The Apache Pro-077 comes in second, having also the advantage of an SSD (but only at 128GB) + a 1 TB HDD. The Apache Pro-242 is dead last with no SSD's, only a 1 TB HDD.

How important is an SSD? Very, as it increases your working performance and productivity by reducing boot times and load times.

Now, in terms of portability, the Stealth gains a specs advantage of being the lightest at 5.7 lbs, while the both Apache's weigh 5.95 lbs. Note that the difference is only 1/4 lb. and may seem negligible (your bag might weigh more).

At this point, I would suggest eliminating the Apache Pro-242 in the equation. This leaves you with only 2 choices to consider -

Apache Pro-077 vs Stealth Pro-097

Let's now weigh the pros and cons, those we haven't considered yet and what we know so far, between this remaining two laptops:

Apache has faster and newer i7 CPU at 2.70GHz; Stealth has slower and older i7 CPU at 2.50GHz
Apache is heavier at 5.95 lbs; Stealth is lighter at 5.7 lbs
Apache has 128GB SSD + 1 TB HDD; Stealth has 384GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
Apache is Aluminum Black in Color/Finish; Stealth is Crimson Red in Color/Finish
Apache has a less powerful 3GB GTX 970M GPU; Stealth has a more powerful 6GB GTX 970M GPU
Apache has a DVD optical disk drive; Stealth has none
Apache has 3x USB 3.0 + 1x USB 2.0 ports; Stealth has 4x USB 3.0 ports
Apache has a lower resolution webcam at 720p HD; Stealth has a higher resolution webcam at 1080p FHD
and, lastly,
Apache costs less at $1,439.00; Stealth costs more at $1,749.00

So, based on costs alone, you must ask yourself if you are willing to spend $310 for:

A slightly slower CPU, a slightly lighter laptop, a considerable fast storage, a red-exterior look, a more powerful GPU, no DVD/ODD, all-USB3.0 ports and an FHD webcam?

If the answer is no, then, get the Apache Pro-077.

If you are willing to spend that much, then by all means, get the Stealth Pro-097.

Sarramy

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
Thank you both for your answers. :) Especially the really in depth comparison, raisonjohn. I had completely missed the fact that the Stealth lacks an DVD/ODD. Whoops! Not a HUGE deal since pretty much everything can be downloaded but still is nice to have when wanting to watch a movie a friend brings over. So that's something to think about.

A question about the slower CPU/more powerful GPU vs faster CPU/less powerful GPU... the majority of what I do is gaming and graphic design, both of which I've been told will benefit from a more powerful GPU, but I've also read that 3d rendering actually takes advantage of CPU speed instead. I'm getting more into 3d modeling so that is something I feel I need to consider. Do you know if this is true? Is the difference between the 2 CPUs a really big speed difference? Same with the GPU, is the 6mb GPU THAT much more powerful than the 3mb GPU?

My thoughts on the other factors:
Weight - I don't care. My current gaming laptop is a BEAST and weighs around 8lbs, so either of the new ones will be considerably lighter anyway.
Color - Red is cool but that alone isn't worth paying more.
USB - Not a big deal to me.
Webcam - I never use it anyway. I'd be fine if they didn't even have them.

So I think it really comes down to deciding between CPU or GPU, but I am having a hard time really grasping how the differences of each will affect what I do. (And the fact that Newegg can't seem to decide what it wants to charge for the Stealth... when I posted this last night it was on sale for $1599, when you answered it was up to $1749, but now as I'm typing this the price is listed as $1649. So, who knows what it'll be later on! :lol:)

Sarramy

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
That makes more sense to me. I was wondering about the validity of what I read regarding 3d rendering since it honestly didn't make sense as I'm not doing video rendering. Thanks. :)

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Be aware that the MSi GS series will be a hot runner compared to the GE or GT counterparts as the case is a bit slimmer. Also, that 384GB SSD is actually 3x128GB SSD's run in RAID 0 which may not be something you want to rely on for your precious files being safely preserved. I would recommend the Pro-077 for long term use. At $300 less than the GS you posted you can add more m.2 SATA SSD's to it or just a larger one, and still be under the price, and will end up with a slightly better performing, less power hungry CPU. I don't really foresee the 6GB 970m over the 3GB version being useful unless you will have an external monitor hooked up for multitasking. If you are doing 3D modeling professionally or your time is very valuable to you, I recommend looking into a Quadro equipped workstation laptop ($$$$$$$$), if it's just a hobby, then any of those will be ok. Just my opinion. Also, usb dvd players can be had for $20 if that's a concern of yours. Good Luck!

Sarramy

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
In my comp tech classes our instructor had nothing good to say about RAID setups, nor anything good to say about SSD though either. He strongly recommended only putting system files on a SSD and saving everything else to a standard hard drive. I always backup all of my everything to an external hard drive anyway so, except for programs and what I'm currently working on, I rarely have anything saved on the computer itself for long. I only have 500 GB on my current computer and I've never run out of space, so storage isn't a concern. I admit I kind of spaced out in class when we were discussing RAID setups, I just remember him saying they weren't very stable. Hmm...

Heat is something I am concerned about. My current computer tends to run very hot whenever I try to render anything or if I'm running a game but it has a secondary turbo fan I can switch on and it helps a lot. I don't know if the laptops I'm looking at now have anything like that or not.

I'm not planning on hooking up an external monitor very often (if ever), and right now I'm still learning the 3d modeling so it's on par with being a hobby, though in the future I hope to turn it into a business. Even then though it wouldn't, I don't think, be anything too intense. Just small models for 3d printing really. I would LOVE a Quadro machine but money is a factor right now, and since it's not needed I really can't justify the extra expense. :)

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
RAID can be good depending on which one and it's needed use. RAID 0 is for people who need things done now, and are willing to sacrifice reliability for speed. This makes sense to pure gaming machines, people who get paid by the job and not the hour, or military special forces in the field needing file transfers done yesterday. RAID 0 breaks up the OS, files, apps, programs, etc.. onto multiple different disks, so if one fails, you may end up losing a lot of your files, or possibly all of them that are stored there. +1 for backing everything up ASAP. I would recommend the GE72 Pro-077 for you if you have no interest in the RAID 0 configuration, and you want a cooler running laptop.

Sarramy

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
I admit I'm not a fan of possibly losing everything. Even though I backup everything off the computer I'd still rather not risk it, ya know? Will the 3gb GPU still allow me to run games on the highest settings, and run my graphics programs simultaneously without a problem?

raisonjohn

Estimable
Herald
Feb 22, 2015

Based on your answers, I think the best laptop for your needs is the Apache Pro-077 rather than the Stealth.

CPU --> You get the faster Core Base Clock (and newer) which helps in CPU-intensive applications you use
Weight --> Doesn't matter to you as both are lighter than your current laptop
SSD --> 128GB is more than enough for your OS, applications and some games. Put everything else in the HDD
Color --> You don't want to pay more just to get the color you want
USB --> Not a big deal for you as both have 4x USB ports anyway
Webcam --> You won't pay for FHD as you don't use it anyway, so stick with the cheaper HD
DVD --> This might be the ONLY component you would like to have but won't get. You can use an external though.

Now for the difference in GPU (Apache's 3GB GTX 970M vs Stealth's 6GB GTX 970M), I don't think there will be a huge and noticeable difference in terms of performance when you're only using a 1080p monitor. The difference will be seen if you probably have a laptop resolution of WQHD or 4K - but both laptops are only FHD. The 970M is a good laptop GPU and most games you will play will probably never use more than 3GB with that 1080p resolution. Having said that, all of the factors above plus the GPU (except the DVD) all points you towards choosing the Apache Pro-077. And the best factor of them all? It's cheaper.

So, if I were you, I'd get that.

Hope my thoughts would help!

Sarramy

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
Thank you so much. Yes, I believe the Apache wins for me. :) I'm very excited and can't wait for Friday when I can order it finally. Yay!

raisonjohn

Estimable
Herald
Feb 22, 2015

You're very welcome! Good choice!