Audio Out Issue - Static/distortion sound w Asus P9X79 Pro w Realtek audio

upsidedownjim

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I recently purchased a new pair of speakers (Presonus E5) and once connected to my computer heard a distortion/static sound. I had not noticed this with my previous audio set up.

I've seen quite a few threads regarding speaker distortion and potential solutions involving the Realtek Audio HD software/driver. However, I've tried many of those and haven't been able to pin point the issue.

I have tried to isolate the source of the problem by trying different connections:

Speakers > RCA (Red/White) to 3.5 mm audio cable to Line Out (Green Port) on Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard. Result - static

Speakers > 1/4" Cable to Behringer Xenyx 1002 FX Mixer > RCA to 3.5mm into computer. Result Static.

Headphones > Behringer Xenyx 1002 FX Mixer > RCA to 3.5 mm into computer. Result - static.

Headphones > to headphone port on front of computer and rear audio port. Result - No static

iPad > RCA to 3.5mm cable > Speakers. Result - no static

Summary:

Speakers sound fine when going direct from iPad using same RCA to 3.5mm cable
Speakers have static when going from computer line out port using the RCA to 3.5mm cable
No static when headphones are connected to the computer directly (front and rear port)

So, with various configurations the speakers are fine, the cable is fine and the computer ports are fine. Yet, the issue remains when the speakers are connected to the computer.

So, I then tried a minimal computer set up with little to no audio cable overlap. 1 computer monitor, 1 speaker, bluetooth keyboard and usb mouse. Static remained.

I thought the bluetooth usb connector for the keyboard/mouse might be the problem so I removed that - static continued. I moved the usb connector to the front of the computer and it seemed like the static sound was a bit less noticeable but that could be my imagination.

Any help in isolating the problem would greatly be appreciated! Happy to provide any further information that may help to resolve this issue!

Thanks!

upsidedownjim

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I spoke with Asus support (Motherboard manufacturer) and the rep suggested it could be the rear output has a shortage. He suggested I use an external sound card like the Asus Xonar U7.

I'll see if that product (or something similar) works.