How can I send PC audio to home theatre via mobo 3.5mm jack - S/PDIF? RCA? Aux In? :/

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hi,

First off, thanks in advance for any help.

I bought a Home theatre system (Philips DVD Home Theater System HTS3357 5.1 Surround Sound - £50 second hand, bargain!)
The DVD player/receiver has a digital in coax port, which I wanted to use to run my PC sound through it for movies - I have a blu ray player for my PC, so want to be able to play these through the DVD player/receiver, whilst linking the sole HDMI port from it to my projector.
Naturally I'm fine for DVDs.

I read somewhere that you can use an adaptor to have your 3.5mm jack be converted to digital coax, depending on the motherboard. Any idea how I can check this?

I've looked at my manual (for my Intel DQ67SW (SKTH) and it says:
1.11.2.2 S/PDIF Header
The S/PDIF header allows connections to coaxial or optical dongles for digital audio
output.

Link to manual:
http://download.viglen.co.uk/files/Motherboards/DQ67SW_DQ67OW/Manuals/DQ67SW/DQ67SW_Manual.pdf

Does this just mean that I can buy and set-up a coaxial connection on this motherboard? (it definitely doesn't have one currently). If so, any advice on how I can do that would be much appreciated.

Alternatively are there other options? Could I just send out my audio jack to the headphone jack of the DVD receiver? Would that transmit 5.1 surround sound? Likewise, same question for 3.5mm to RCA? That might work...
Here's a photo someone else took of the back fo the DVD player/receiver:
http://obrazki.elektroda.pl/9475017900_1419515687.jpg

Really confused, was thinking of getting a new soundcard but would rather avoid it if I can.
I am one of those people with ah heck all money but I like my movies and gaming so I always find a way to get by with (what I would call) a fairly decent system (well aware that it isn't when compared to the big boys, but compared to the average, well, I am happy :) )

Any solutions much appreciated.
Thank you in advance, you are all heroes!! :)

All the best,

Phil

Oh and I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI) with HDMI and DVI connection (wondered if I could use the HDMI to send the audio but I need that for the projector, plus it says digital out on the DVD receiver HDMI port)
And Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz processor, in case that's relevant.

The picture of the back of the Philips shows that you have coax digital and stereo analog inputs.
Your options are as follows:
1. Get the spdif card with wire and connector for that mobo. I did that with an asus board and it worked fine.
2. Use an HDMI audio extractor like this one
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2
to pull coax digital audio off the HDMI output of the PC. Will also work fine.
3. If you use the 3.5mm analog audio out of the PC to the RCA input on the Philips you won't get digital surround sound just surround sound derived from the 2 channel out of the PC. No nearly as good.
4. You can't use an output, like the headphone out, as an input so that won't work at all.

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Thanks, I'm having trouble finding the right one, though I did find a guide on how to make one myself - the thought of frazzling my mobo by getting the voltage wrong puts me off though.
Might just get a cheapish soundcard I guess :/

EDIT: Now it seems it's an absolute ah heck to find a soundcard with an existing digital coax output, they all need adaptors lol :/

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011