Galaxy Tab S. Move file from usb flash to external sd card?

GeRgY

Admirable
Hello there!
Why not :) ? Just try the simple move like that:
Plug that USB stick into computer and transfer that information into SD card. You may need a card reader!
If you dont have card reader plug your Galaxy Tab to that computer and just copy the information from USB stick to SD card :)
Good luck!

biggestmobs

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks Gergy. The sd card is read only when it's in its slot. I'm aware of other ways of writing to an sd card, but a tablet should be a stand alone computer. It would be ridiculous to have to pull the thing out of its slot, put it in a card reader to write and then put it back in its slot to read. There'd be no advantage in having the sd slot! I planned on using the tablet for travel, so to have to take along another computer just to service the tablet is silly. I'd leave the tablet at home and just take my laptop! The idea of non-writable memory is absurd, like having a drink with a straw and empty glass. Was just hoping there was an easy fix. I'm not the geek! If samsung was prepared to supply me with another computer for my tablet, that's worth a thought, but what's the point?

biggestmobs

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
Hi again Gergy, thanks for your posts. I've had a couple of OTG cables for a while, this is what you suggest. What I tried to do was connect a usb stick with an OTG cable, and from there copy files to the sd card in its slot. No way, the sd card in its slot is read only. I also substituted the usb stick with a portable harddrive, powered via a Y-cable and powered usb hub. The problem is that write permission in android for the sd card has been withdrawn by google. A lot of people are jumping mad about this, some choice language on some of the forums! One can root the tablet and rewrite the script, but from what I've seen, outcomes are a bit variable and there's a real danger of bricking. You void your warranty too. To my mind, if the thing can't write to memory then it's a fair claim for warranty cover. I got onto samsung but they just pointed the finger at google.

GeRgY

Admirable
True... It's known already that Kit Kat breaks the ability to write to external storage like SD Cards.
Can you reach your SD card with this app: ES File Explorer? Try it and give me a feedback.
p.s. Check that SD card for problems ( if possible try with another SD card.) The tablet should transfer information from USB to SD with OTG without any problems.
I'll search about this issue and give you more information about it.

biggestmobs

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015

biggestmobs

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
Haven't tried ESFileExplorer, but have tried NexusMediaImporter. Had it for a while with the other phone, but trying on the TabS to copy from usb stick to inserted SD, it read usb ok, but all it could do with the SD card was report that it is read only. Can't see that other file managers will get around the permission thing in google's firmware. I think the SD card's ok. Hope so, it's a new 128GB EVO+ from Samsung. I put a movie on it with the pc and it plays back in the TabS perfectly. Thanks for your efforts Gergy, but don't spend too much time on it, I've just about had enough of the shit of a thing.

biggestmobs

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
This works for android5.x. Very simple fix, no root needed. Google has apparently backed off and will allow write to external sd, but only using the file manager which came with the phone/tablet. Maybe other file managers can, but not nexus media importer as far as I've been able to tell. What's missing is a label for the sd card or micro sd. This can be added on a PC. My sd is exfat, so had to get a driver for windows xp. In explorer, add a name (label) for the sd . My android has a file manager named "my files". Get to know the icons and so on in it. Things like "select", "paste here". I'm not fully familiar with android, more the xp-man. Seems to me that google have been pretty quiet about this change to write permissions. Also see http://support.metago.net/entries/64162120-Adding-a-Label-to-External-Storage-Devices-SD-and-USB-