Toshiba laptop fan control issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishyy200

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
So on holiday I need to use a Toshiba C855 laptop. However, this laptop runs extremely poorly mainly because it overheats, which is why I'm pretty sure it can never stay at a stable 2.2Ghz frequency and jumps around all over the place. This takes a huge toll on the performance of the laptop as it has no dedicated GPU and uses Intel HD graphics so it is impossible to play games on in it's current state. Even flicking through the internet can be a pain. So I have set myself a task to renovate this laptop when I come back home from holiday so I can use it with decent performance when I go back on holiday. The list of mods are to generally clean the heatsink and apply new thermal paste, obviously this is a cause to the overheating. Then install windows 7 as this laptop from factory comes with Windows 8 and a ton of Toshiba bloatware which pulls performance down. And then to cut a hole in the bottom right underneath the fan so it sucks in air as it currently has like no holes to suck anything through. However, thinking about all of this I tried to manually control the fan so it somehow decently cools down while I am on holiday, and the issue is, is that you cannot change the fan speed. I tried all kinds of software's but nothing works. So I thought I'd splice the fan connector to a USB port, however the issue here is that USB ports only allow 5V and I am unsure of the fan voltage as it may barely even spin up.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to do so I can take manual control of the fan? Maybe an idea of where to splice into? I will also use a 555 timer so I can change the speed of it using one of those small twisting knob things that I'll place on the side of the laptop.

Fishyy200

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
I have actually disassembled the laptop as I was getting extremely distressed from it. I cleaned it and reapplied thermal paste. It now runs 20 degrees Celsius cooler! I also drilled holes underneath the fan. I checked the voltage of it and it's 5v meaning you can splice it into a USB port from the inside and have it run at maximum speed all the time. I'm going to do it but use a 555 timer and a small analogue knob to change the voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.