Is this laptop good enough for 4k video editing?

jcarlos_hugo

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015

Cryolator

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
I'm using a XPS 13 with the Intel i5-5200U, Full-HD-Display and 8GB of RAM for video-editing. Premiere Pro CC (latest version) is running OK with 1080p50-material. 4K is stuttering, if you try to import the files out of camera. 4K-editing works much better with Edius 8 and with Magix Video Pro X7. They both use Intel Quick Sync for the playback of the 4K-material. So it works for light editing (one track). Really disappointed with Premiere...

jcarlos_hugo

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015

Hi Cryolator, so does that mean that Premiere pro CC is CPU dependent not GPU dependent? that's a bummer. I just hope there will be an update soon so it can ran smoothly and utilize Intel Quick Sync. I have not used Edius 8 and Magix video pro before, can you tell me which of the two is easier to learn and has more value?

Cryolator

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
On the contrary - PP is highly GPU dependant. The i5-5200U uses only onboard-graphics. Not good enough for 4k-editing in Premiere. If u use a Notebook with additional graphics card, PP will run smoothly. But obviously PP doesn't use the Quick Sync Hardware decoding of 4K for playback and editing (I think for export u can use Quick Sync though...it's fast but not best quality...).

So if u really want to edit 4K on such a small machine, u have to use another software or u use a Proxy-workflow in PP ;-)