Easier way to turn a Windows 8 key into a Windows 10 key?

cobiti

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
Hi all

I bought a laptop one year ago that came with Windows 8. For compatibility reasons, I needed Windows XP back then so I installed that. Now I no longer need Windows XP, and I'd like to install Windows 10.

I still got the Windows 8 OEM key, and the only way to get to Windows 10 as I see it now is: install Windows 8, perform all the Windows updates, then upgrade to Windows 8.1, install all the Windows updates again, then upgrade to Windows 10 and tada; I've got my free Windows 10 key.

But there are 2 problems with that approach: 1. I don't know where to find a Windows 8 ISO, I can only find the media creation tool for Windows 8.1. and 2. the process that I have demonstrated above is VERY LONG and VERY TEDIOUS, this could possibly take me 2 or 3 days (with waiting for updates taking most of this time).

Sooooo... are there any easier ways to get a free Windows 10 key from my Windows 8 key, so that I can immediately remove Windows XP and install Windows 10 straight away without going through all the Windows 8/8.1 hassles? Would Microsoft be happy to pass me a Windows 10 key if I give them my Windows 8 key through telephone?

Thanks in advance!

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
what you described is the only way for it to work as far as i know.

just get the pc up to win 8.1 and then do the upgrade. if the win 10 installer wants the other updates it will go get them itself. no reason to get it fully updated. and to get the iso for win 8 MS offers it directly here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

sorry but this is the way it is. it's free so a few hours of your time is little to ask.

other option is to buy win 10 directly and install it fresh over the win xp install.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
this site says you can install straight t win 8.1 with a win 8 key. never tried it myself but i have seen this before as an option

would save some serious time going straight to 8.1 http://www.howtogeek.com/187525/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8.1-with-a-windows-8-key/

grkstyla

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
As per last post if you can go 8.1 off the bat, i just did an install from that step myself, using media creation for 8.1 made a usb, then clean installed that and before seeing the desktop (provided you put wireless key in internet access) it will install windows 10 straight from there, so you skip all the waiting etc, it does take a while as it downloads between 2 and 8 gigs, but much faster.. goodluck