Choose between AMD Quad-Core A8-6410 or Intel Core i5-5200U for a work laptop

DionisiusMayr

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
Hello, I need to buy a new laptop for my sister, who will use it basically for browsing the internet and some work software like AutoCAD.

I am divided between these 3 options:

• ■ Asus with Intel Core i5-5200U and a NVIDIA GeForce 920M.
    ■ HP with AMD Quad-Core A8-6410 and a AMD Radeon HD 8750M.
    ■ Lenovo with AMD Quad-Core A8-6410 and a AMD Radeon R5.
They all have 8GB of ram, are 15.6" and have around the same weight.

Can anyone help me deciding which one should I take?

I already had a Lenovo and Asus and I trust both brands, but I am not that sure about the HP one, although it seems pretty good.

The A8-6410's processing power is relatively weak, it is about comparable to a 3rd generation Core i3. The integrated Radeon R5 (Beema) is relatively weak; it is less powerful than the Intel HD 4000 in the 3th generation Intel Core series CPUs. The 5th generation Core i5-5200u will have absolutely no problems pouncing on the A8-6410 even though it is only a dual core CPU.

Using the Geforce 640m as reference, the Radeon HD 8750 is a bit more powerful, but the nVidia 920m is a bit less powerful. The Radeon R5 (Beema) cannot even compete.

I believe CAD programs are more dependent on the CPU than the GPU. If so then I would choose the Asus which has the i5-5200u + 920m. Since the i5 is more powerful than the A8, it should last your sister longer before she feels the laptop is becoming too slow for her needs.

DionisiusMayr

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

That makes sense. I was worried about the quad-core actually beating the i5, but if that isnt the case I can safely go with the Asus. Thank you a lot @jaguarskx!