Home security: need advise

TylerBlackmon

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
Hi people! I'm new out here. I have a question, which is based on home security. I stay at Toronto with my wife and kids . We have a 2 storey house with an old attic and a small garden and a backyard. Sadly we don't have pets. I'm out of the house half of the time due to my job which requires a whole lot of traveling.Owing to this, I have home security system installed.But we heard of some break-ins in our neighborhood even in household with security systems! I wish to keep a better eye on my home when I'm away. So how do we install this ? I have already inquired a few home alarm monitoring services in Toronto. Will installing sensor based cameras really help? What are your views ?

peteralan

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Understand Your Foes

Most burglaries occur on weekdays between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. The perpetrators are usually substance abusers in their twenties looking for easy-to-pawn items to raise quick cash. They look for homes that appear unoccupied during the day, are dark at night, and display signs of wealth (such as immaculate landscaping, expensive cars, and fancy decks). They prefer homes that are secluded or shielded by fences or shrubbery. And they always prefer breaking in through a ground-level side window or back door.

Most burglars don’t pick locks or break the glass. That takes too long, makes noise and risks personal injury. Instead, they simply kick in a door (even doors with a deadbolt) or pry open a window or sliding patio door. In many cases, they take advantage of a homeowner’s carelessness by climbing in through an open window or unlocked door (window screens and storm doors offer no protection). Burglars tend to shy away from homes with dogs, and homes with an alarm system.

Once inside, burglars head right to the master bedroom looking for gold jewelry, cash, furs, and guns. Next, they scoop up prescription drugs from the bathroom and finish up with laptops, tablets, and smartphones. Then they hightail it out.

Your job is to make your home less target-worthy, frustrate their attempts to break in and limit your losses if they do manage to get inside.