Questions about Gaming Laptops for College

TheKillerPotato

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
As the title implies, I'm looking for a laptop that is good for both gaming and college use.

The idea of a cool and quiet desktop replacement like the ROG G751 or the GT72 Dominator sounds really appealing, but I'm afraid battery life and size might become an issue for general college use. But when I consider thinner laptops like the msi GS60 or GS70, they typically get very hot while gaming and/or have obnoxiously loud fans that will probably annoy both me and my roommate.

My Questions:
1) Is a laptop like the GT72 too big for college (16.85" x 11.57"x 1.89" 8.4 lbs.)? In high school, I typically carried nearly all my books everyday because I didn't want to keep going to my locker. So maybe I'd tolerate more weight than most.
And is 17" in general just to big, for example the GS60 (15.6") vs GS70 (17.3").

2) How big of a concern is heat? Is it an issue that can be easily fixed with a cooling pad?

3) How much of a concern is fan noise? I would probably be wearing a headset, but would it still be a problem? I also don't want to annoy my roommate with the noise.

4) Battery life, is that a big problem? How much is good enough?

5) This one isn't really a question, but if u have a laptop that you'd recommend or discourage, then go ahead and do so. For the sake of discussion, let's say price isn't a factor.

6) One last thing is specific to the Razer Blade 14. Everyone says it's a good laptop, albeit a little pricey, and has good size/performance. However, the 1080p version only has 8GB of RAM and I often like to draw with photoshop while watching youtube or leave 20 chrome tabs open and I'm concerned 8GB won't be enough. The versions that have 16GB are either lower spec with 960M or have a 3K display which will hurt performance for games if I want to use the native resolution (they also cost more). Again, not really a question; but if you have something to say on the matter, go ahead.

Also thank you in advance!

TheKillerPotato

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015

The laptop they discussed actually looks pretty good; I'll investigate it further. The thread didn't touch on all of my questions, but still very informative. Thanks for the reply.

AmishTurtle

Estimable
Jul 3, 2015

No problem, please if you have any more questions just ask. If I help you don't forget to pick my answer as the solution for others.