dllhost.exe disappears whenever the Task Manager opens.

Spy-Tronix

Estimable
Oct 18, 2014
I'm running windows 8 with Norton Internet Security - never had a virus - ever. However, I understand that viruses are getting better at "hiding" these days and I wanted to ask a question.

Can anyone describe why "dllhost.exe" (which usually runs with ComSurrogate or conhost.exe) will disappear from the list (under the "details" tab) of task manager?

It seems like our computers will run hard and be working even though there is not a lot going on, and when we open up "task manager" and quickly go to the "details" tab. We can see 2 or 3 instances of "dllhost.exe" just drop off of the list.....without us "ending the task."

Is anyone else seeing this? What could be causing the dllhost.exe instances to disappear when the task manager details tab is opened.

Note: We've already run "RogueKiller" from the adlice.com website. No hooks or malware were found so we're clean as far as we know. Also, there are no other signs or symptoms on our computers - all signs point to the fact that we're clean...I just don't want to be a fool and miss something that might be obvious to someone else.

Thanks in advance.

Jake at Spy-Tronix.

harryfishrules

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015

Hey Spy-Tronix. Could you run the File System Checker via cmd and see if it shows any issues: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833