First FAA-Approved Drove Deliveries Coming July 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorribot

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
So you have drones in the air with drugs and an armed populous and you guys in the US think that is a good idea?
I would imagine there will be many no fly zones for drones and one or two stray shots taking out innocent bystanders before some one says that maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

JackKennedy

Estimable
Jun 19, 2015
The article incorrectly references West Virginia instead of Virginia, but the comment insinuates a stereotype of a people based upon a prejudicial view of Central Appalachian Mountain rural people and your erroneous perception of them. Sadly, this type of division serves no one. Unfortunate your comment.

mcgrawcm

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015
Love the idea of drone delivery in theory, but it will be interesting to observe the many ways in which this system will undoubtedly go awry before it matures. For example, if the meds are truly important, one would anticipate minimal tolerance for delays in delivery, and yet this system is likely to be less reliable than human delivery in its early days. I'm also concerned that although things might run smoothly under the best case scenario, it would seem that anyone could easily disrupt this supply chain for personal gain or mischief. And the elimination of a delivery person places more onus for safe delivery on staff at the receiving side, who might not have previously had any official role in delivery.

Coot25

Estimable
Jun 21, 2015
Does anyone seriously want these things cluttering up the sky, adding to noise pollution, and posing a danger when (not if) they crash? I see local municipalities imposing bans asap, and I hope mine does so. And speaking of an armed population, how many will resist shooting these things out of the sky -- not to steal what they're delivering, but because they're utterly annoying (or just for fun)? This is an example of a corrupt system, in which a government agency has been influenced by corporations who want to pollute the skies so they can make more money.

Nine Layer Nige

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
On a plus side, I see this of great use in disaster areas where essential meds and water could be droned in by their 100's or even 1,000's, leaving the real helicopters to airlift out casualties.

On a flipside, I see regular mail couriers losing their jobs, or actually re-skilling as virtual drone pilots.
Whatever happens, hopefully, the 'good' potential outways the 'bad' risks.
I expect as a joint development, "drone-slayer" automatic laser cannons will be able to strike rogue drones carrying terrorist payloads destined for government or military targets. So, the battleground evolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS