Apple Music vs. Spotify: Streaming Services Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingbenjamin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2015
I have used premium spotify for years but am continually frustrated by ongoing and known issues with syncing my library. Songs are greyest out and unplayable offline in spite of me owning them. Their app support for devices like play station and CarPlay are abysmal. If the free trial goes well, I'll switch and rebuild my playlists.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Exactly, beingbenjamin. Spotify has failed routinely to play well with my iTunes library, or vice a versa (I can't tell who to blame), and the prospect of playlists comprised of songs in my library and songs in the Apple Music subscription server is a primary driver of my interest.

Per Sjofors

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015
Full disclosure: My company is America's must trusted advisor to set prices right. Here is a link to a project we did about a month ago on what people are willing to pay for various music streaming services. And yes, I too was very underwhelmed with their presentation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya0b...

As you can see if you download the PDF presentation Apple underprice themselves. They had the chance to be a "good citizen" and give more money back to the industry. But decided to launch a me-too service. Sad. Maybe the first true nail in the Apple coffin.

In the meantime I continue to use Tidal as they are the only service I know that stream full quality (lossless compression) FLAC files.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

So, you raise a few interesting problems. Yes, Apple may not be built to give artists as much money as Tidal claims to do, but this is why I supplement my streaming service usage with actual purchases of concert tickets, physical media, merch and BandCamp files. Tidal may be intent to hand the artist more money than Spotify, but streaming alone won't be enough for artists to survive if you ask me.

I don't think Apple's service is a me-too entry for one giant and important reason: root level integration with the system on Macs. There are so many customers who haven't even tried Spotify, but will be willing to give Apple Music a shot because of brand trust/loyalty.

In terms of audio quality? I don't have the ears or sound system to truly believe I can discern FLAC quality, and as I said above, I buy records, for when I want to enjoy the audio quality the most, since I prefer that output. Unfortunately, going by the headphones that sell the best, I don't think audio quality is a feature that a service needs to focus on in order to thrive. If it were Pono would have been a big thing and not just a big interview.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

I can't understand any of the downvotes here. I guess people are angry that people use the services they use?

thorr

Great
Mar 20, 2018
Though both services come with their pros and cons and each will find its user but Spotify offers a more well-rounded experience which is more effective and open to all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.