Performance Laptop to Replace Desktop (battery life, size, noise, doesn't matter)

JCD-Bionicman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
This is something I keep coming back to in my mind. I was thinking about this Lenovo http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-3840x2160-i7-4700HQ-Dedicated-Bluetooth/dp/B00XFZ7MEY/

I want to know how much bulk, heat, battery life, and weight I can sacrifice to bring the price down and/or raise performance. Are there some really brick-like laptops out there?

What is the main use of your new laptop going to be? You aren't going to do any serious gaming at high settings on a 4K display with an 860m GPU.

Also, how much are you willing to spend?

JCD-Bionicman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

Mother: ASUS P8B75-M LE CPU: i3-3220
RAM: 2x F3-10666CL9-4GBNT Drive:WD5000AAKX
Video: R7 265 PSU: Antec VP-450 Case:FBM-01

I'm not sure what you consider "serious," but mostly 60 fps on high to higher overall settings, with some of the more experimental, trivial graphics options turned down is alright with me, and the laptop will even outperform my current desktop cited above.

I thought the suggested laptop would have established how much I'm willing to pay.

JCD-Bionicman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
So I get some fanboy/hired fanboy and no other real replies? That laptop doesn't suck, it's an established good value by multiple sources. I'd be asking for more advice from Hardware Revolution's forums but I thought this place would have more traffic.

Being a bit of a dick, aren't you? I never said that laptop sucked. If that was the impression I gave, that was not my intention. It's a fine laptop. I was just concerned about whether or not it could play the latest games (such as GTA V and Witcher 3) on high settings on a 4k display. Of course the comment about gaming was speculation on my part, as you weren't kind enough to state your proposed uses of said laptop in your original post.

Then you get all snarky when I ask a question about price. You posted one example. I wasn't sure if you might be willing to spend a little more if the performance boost might be worth it.

JCD-Bionicman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

Alright sorry it sounded like you really undershot the value of the laptop so made me think very little of your opinion. I've heard about spyware on this particularly brand so I don't know if I want to buy it anyways.

I can listen to prices ranging underneath 1500. You can insist on better deals above that but not over 2000.

Thanks and sorry again.

It's all good. A simple misunderstanding.

So, as this is a desktop replacement, and you mentioned that size/weight doesn't matter, if it was me, I'd go for a 17.3" display. Slightly more room in the chassis for all the parts to fit, so should run slightly cooler than a comparable 15.6" model. So once we establish your preferred parameters, I will try to recommend a couple "bricks", as you call them. ;)

What would be the order of components in importance to you?
Would you take a 1920 x 1080 display over a 4k display if it allows you to get a better GPU for gaming?
Is an SSD a must, or would a mechanical HDD do?
Or perhaps a small SSD, and a much larger HDD for storage?
Would I be correct that an i7 4xxx or 5xxx CPU is a given?
8GB of RAM, or 16GB (you can easily upgrade later, if you want)?

If gaming is your number 1 priority, I would go with something with a GTX GeForce 970m GPU, and 'settle' for a full HD display and maybe no SSD or smaller SSD (easy to upgrade later). The 970m is head and shoulders above the 860m in your original example, performance-wise.

Being an MSI 'fanboy' (I have my reasons), here are two I would take into consideration:

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT70-Dominator-2293-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00O4ORQ3C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433958434&sr=8-2&keywords=msi+gt70

Or the newer version of the Dominator (at higher cost):

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT72-Dominator-406-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00O4OS5SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433959769&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+gt72

With a little luck, others will be by with different recommendations than mine.

P.S. Sent you a private message

JCD-Bionicman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

1680x1080 minimum, IPS panel is absolutely essential
SSD is fairly essential
i7 is essential
Not too worried about RAM at all

Think the Lenovo is really the closest pick so far.