Need some help on a project i'm thinking of trying.

Bryan1990

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015
Honestly could not think of a suitable title for this, but i thought maybe i could ask here and get a bit more detailed ideas than i was getting just from Google searching.

So to start off i have a very powerful PC and almost all my work/entertainment is done on the internet, So i got the idea "hey i wonder if there is a way to just hook my whole house to my computer and control it all from wherever.". So i came here to see if anyone could help direct me to the parts i need with better luck than what i'm having.

My first step if hdmi cables i'm going to run those through (or up on the walls) to connect the two other t.v.s in my house (bedroom and living room from the office where computer is at) that's easy i can find 100ft+ HDMI cables easy.

But the one i'm having trouble with is how to control it, I was thinking to set my computer up to be controlled with an IR remote of some kind (just like a t.v.) but, I Googled for the software and while it does look like it is out there does anyone have any experience trying to set up a p.c. to be controlled via remote? If so Can you give me an idea what software to use before i blindly download something?

Next question so if i can get the software to work, Does anyone have any experience on something like a repeater for a remote so i can turn the computer on from anywhere in the house, And does anyone have any ideas how to maybe get a key board working? My first thought for the keyboard is again i can find 100+ foot usb extension cables so i could just run those along with the hdmi cables but i would like wireless, games will mainly be reserved for the office so the other to rooms are just there for the hell of it.

Also before anyone says anything yes i'm sure there are simpler ways to do it but the idea just sounds neat I think it would be cool just to have all the entertainment in my house controlled from one place in my office, I figure if i could get this figured out i could set up surround sound throughout the house also which would be badass.

Thanks for an help
-Bryan

P.s. Posted here because after reading some of the other posts this seemed like the most general forum, Hope that's right.

Aefuan

Estimable
Apr 30, 2015
I'm not sure if that's what you want, but you can control your PC via TeamViewer from an Android phone or another PC. I did this to control my PC from the job 1000 times already, and it works well.

Wake on LAN is probably the way to go for turning it on.

Unless you want everyone to see the exact same thing or have trouble driving the mouse/keyboard, you probably need multihead (separate displays each with their own keyboard/mouse/audio). Unfortunately, consumer versions of Windows don't include multihead, so you either need to use Linux or buy expensive software from MS.

Depending on what you want to use it for, your best option may be to use Kodi (previously XBMC), an open-source media centre that comes with a remote control app for both Android and iOS. This would let you avoid the mess of driving a UI built for computer screens on a smartphone. Unfortunately, it doesn't do blu-rays without a lot of messing around.

Bryan1990

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015

Hmmm... alright i'll look into those and yeah i hadn't got to the problem of how to get the screens to display different things (live by myself so should only be one room at a time anyway), but i know a bit of linux might look into that.