Buying new laptop: 8GB hybrid SSD or a better processor?

snowathlete

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
Similar specs and same price, but the Lenovo has a small 8GB SSD in addition to the HDD which should boost startup and launches, whereas the Dell does not but has a better processor.

Here is the Lenovo: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lapto...g70-17-3-laptop-black-10105268-pdt.html#cat-0

and here is the Dell:
http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17-5749-laptop/pd?oc=cn74911&model_id=inspiron-17-5749-laptop

I think I'd get on with the touchpad buttons on the lenovo better than the inbuild ones in the Dell. Also the lenovo looks like it has a slightly better keyboard. I am a writer, so that is important, but to be honest I'd probably get on fine with either. The lenovo appears to have slightly better sound than the Dell too. The Dell looks more robust, perhaps. The obvious strength of the Dell though is that has more processing power.

I'll be writing, in Word. But I'll also be streaming media and browing with lots of tabs open and a lot of multitasking. But not much graphics, programing, gaming, or audio work.

Would appreciate hearing people's views on what is the better option.

Hello snowathlete

Since you are planning to do a lot of multitasking and opening multiple tabs, getting a laptop with better processing would be more appropriate.

Also, since keyboard and sound quality (which of course would not be 'bad') would not be of much concern to you, choosing Dell would be wise.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

snowathlete

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015

Thanks for your reply. I bought the Lenovo, today...But, I am thinking of sending it back. It is a really nice laptop, but it has a sharp edge where you rest your wrist/arm when typing. This is a big deal to me as I spend a long time writing. It's quite bizare because most laptops appear to be quite sharp on the front edge, but actually aren't, just having a slightly bezelled edge, but the Lenovo has a sort of lip and it really is stupidly sharp. If i kept it I would have to get the dremel out...

I decided against the Dell in the end having read lots of reviews on the 5748 model having an unusable trackpad. The one on the 5749 looks identical and there are already some bad reviews about it too. As I dont always work on a desk and therefore cant always use a plug in mouse, I figured it might be a really bad choice for me.

So I am not sure what to do. As I say, the Lenovo seems really good, except for the really sharp edge! My only other complaint about it is that the keyboard is a little small. It is actually an inch smaller than my current Samsung 15" laptop, which just seems crazy to me. As a result I keep typing the wrong letters. I guess I would get used to it mind. But why the smaller keyboard?

g-unit1111

Distinguished
I have a laptop with a small SSD and the extra SSD is kind of worthless. On my Lenovo all it does is store the operating system backup. Put that money into the GPU or CPU, that would be a wiser investment.