Gaming Laptop or Building a Desktop ? budget 1800 Euro

ahmad_f

Estimable
May 29, 2015
Hello everybody
i am currently living in Germany , and i own an Xbox 360 and a PS4 but i am tired of dishing out 70 euro/game here and then the performance is 900p WTF next generation ??
so i decided that i may try to join the PC Master race ,and therfore i have saved about 1800 euro for that , i am not much of a gamer ,i have very little free time , maybe 1-2 hours a day ,and more in the weekend , i dont have a fancy 4 K TV , i have a 50i Full hd 1080 Led tv
i only care that i buy a system that can run modern games at better graphics or in worst case same as PS4 but with 60FPS and 1080p and not 30FPS 900p
i do travel alot frequently but for few days ,i can sacrifice mobility if the difference between desktop is realy huge so my final question :
i have set my mind on an ASUS ROG G751JY Laptop that comes with GTX 980M 4gb,16gb Ram,SSD 256,1 TB , i7 4700 series or sth at 1800 euro
or build a Desktop , i searched for parts online to get an idea of prices but i have found out that building a desktop with an nvidia GTX 980 may be also expensive so 1300-1400 Euro , so better i dish out 500-400 euro more but get mobility ,or what is your opinion ??
should i get this laptop ? will it run modern games (Witcher 3) at better graphics than PS4 and 1080p 60FPS ? or should i buy another type of laptop? or build a desktop ? and if i want to build a desktop approximativly what is the cost ? is it worth it ?is the difference huge? to sacrifice the mobility ?

Th3R3ALaSSaSSin4

Estimable
May 29, 2015
I would probably suggest you to build a gaming desktop since it will be more powerfull than a laptop and the suggested gpu is an AMD R9 series like R9 290x or Nvidia 750 Ti or above,8 gb of RAM,an Intel Core i7-4790T,1 Tb HDD and a power supply with 600 w or above also a motherboard which supports them

ahmad_f

Estimable
May 29, 2015
thanks for the answer
so an Nvidia 750 Ti with a i7 4790T system will play demanding games like witcher 3 at High-Ultra settings and 60FPS ?? and the performance will be better as the Asus laptop with GTX 980m ??
i understand that building a desktop is also cheaper but money is not an issue ,i just dont want to buy something to regret later ,it would be a bummer if i dish out 1800 Euro on an ASUS laptop with gtx 980m to find out later that it plays games like Witcher 3 exactly the same as my PS4 would
also can you give me an idea how much would it cost to build an ultimate gaming desktop with a GTX 980 (without SLI) and latest i7 cpu 5820 ? i made some calculations and found out that it would cost around 1800Euro or more , so not cheaper as the ASUS laptop
if i am buying then i want to buy the best possible configuration but no more than 2000 Euro , if the difference in performance isnt HUGE then better be a laptop
so a 1800Euro 16gb ram i7 gtx 980m laptop or building a GTX 980 or Titan desktop ?but if its going to be a desktop then the performance must be huge to be justifiable or the price difference must be big if the performace is almost the same.

sethwilliam

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I highly recommend getting a desktop. Build it yourself or check out cyberpowerpc.com
I have used both and they all turned out great whether I built it myself or bought one from them.

To answer your question, definettly go with the desktop. You will notice a HUGE differance between PC and Laptop gaming (at least I did).
My PC cost about $2000 USD (1,769.86 Euros) when I built it, and there has not been a game that I have played that I cannot max out at 60FPS.
Desktops also have an advantage over laptops because there is always room for improvement. New graphics card came out? Just buy it and pop it in your system and sell your old one to cut down the costs. Laptops are IMO not worth upgrading and some don't even let you upgrade them.

DSPlicious

Estimable
Dec 18, 2015
Man, I have that laptop from ASUS, except with 24Gb of RAM instead of just 16 - the ROG G751JY-DH73-CA - and I can tell you, for now it can max out any game easily. The Nvidia GTX980m GPU is more than enough for most, if not all, games. But that's the thing... It can max out current, modern, games. However, they'll keep evolving and in the future they, the games, might need more power. For the same price you can get a much better desktop, that's for sure (and that was your question) and as someone already mentioned, laptops have the overheating issue and aren't fully customisable, if at all. For me, portability was a must, since I like to game on-the-go. At college or at a friend's house, for example. Ultimately, it's your choice. You'll have to think what matters most to you. If portability (even around your house - I'm writing this in bed) or upgradability (being able to put in a new graphics card later in time, a new CPU maybe). Although, motherboards will keep evolving, processors, and also will RAM. Then again, Moore's Law will one day meet a hault. Good luck choosing. Cheers, man.