Hyundai Sonata is First With Android Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Having worked at a car dealership and sold Hyundais (along with a lot of other major brands) I can say that the Sonata is ok. It isn't anything super special and the only model worth anything is the 2.0T Sport or better (there is a Limited trim for it that has all the bells and whistles).

That said, I guess we have to wait and see how Android auto does. If it acts like Android then in 6 months to a year it will need a clean install to start running normally again as it will slow down. I hope they got that ironed out.

There is one feature I want to know if it has. I wonder if you can have multiple phones connected doing different things. That is one thing SYNC does pretty well, even though people hate on SYNC (because it is a MS product mainly). My wife has a 2013 Taurus with SYNC and I can have her phone connected to receive calls and texts while mine can be connected to play music. Haven't seen another infotainment (stock, not aftermarket) that does that yet.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
well that is one of the downsides to having a computer in your car. even apple auto will run into the same problem and that will have to be factory defaulted after a while. having multiple devices would be a no brainer since the sonata is more of a family car and would have multiple phones connecting to bluetooth anyway

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

SYNC doesn't need it but then again it isn't quite a computer more of a specialized infotainment system which I feel will be superior to OS based infotainment systems.

And that's why I am wondering if it will have that ability. I can tell you from selling them that the previous Hyundai infotainment system did not have that capability. To connect a phone for anything you have to do it from the phone menu. In SYNC you connect a phone from there and then from the audio sub menu you can connect a phone for just audio.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

codo

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
I was thinking of holding out for this but I guess not. Disappointing how garbage android is for syncing with your car. WP may not have apps but at least I could read and answer texts out of box without any sort of physical input with the phone or companion apps. Android is way too far behind in this regard

Status
Not open for further replies.