Fix up previous laptop or buy new one?

Austrie

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I have an HP Elitebook 8560p(i5 version) and the charger sent an overvoltage one day, frying the DC Jack, motherboard, and charger. I'm thinking of fixing it up, since I'm somewhat tech-savvy, by buying a new motherboard($100-200), new power jack($5-20), and a universal charger(cheaper than buying a proprietary/OEM charger); though the battery area is showing a little discoloration, not sure if it got damaged or not so I might need to buy it($40+). Or should I buy the HP 15-p030nr 15.6-Inch Special Edition Laptop($500-700)? My current laptop, the Asus X553M, just isn't cutting it when it comes to performance. So based on specs and price, should I fix my previous laptop or by the HP 15-p030nr 15.6-Inch Special Edition Laptop? I would also like to game on it as well, such as playing GTA 5 and Call of Duty: Ghost.

As your current laptop is not able to satisfy you needs I would get a new laptop as even if you fix the laptop, it is not able to do the things you want.

However I would not get the hp to play gta 5 as it will be able to barely play the laptop. For $700, either look for a barebone laptop such as sagar or msi for a branded laptop.

Austrie

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

My current laptop is the one that cannot meet my needs; the laptop I want to fix is the one before it.

BUMP means Bring Up My Post (to the top of the page). Which it does by adding another post to the current thread. It helps to keep his original question near the top of the page so it is seen, rather than ending up at the bottom where it might be missed. :)

Unless the laptop you are looking for has at least an NVidia 840m class video card, it won't play GTA V well enough to be worth buying. Even an 840m will be playing it at low settings.

For a gaming laptop you want to play newer demanding games on, you need about a $1,000 budget to start for lower quality and $1,200 + for smoother play and medium and high settings.