can I unlock my verizon iphone from a contract to use on a verizon prepaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerjavwil

Estimable
May 22, 2015
I bought a used verizon iphone 5c and took it to a verizon store to be told it had been reported lost or stolen. Can I unlock the IEMI or get it removed from the loat or stolen list so I can transfer my verizon prepaid service over to the iphone 5c I just purchased off of craigslist?

skenneygirl

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
For what it is worth; I had a Verizon Iphone 4 my daughter got on Ebay or something. I signed it up to Verizon prepaid ($45 a month). When I was in the store one day for some reason (I honestly do not remember -- switching contacts or something), I was approached by a salesman. He started flashing the latest and greatest in my face. I explained right off that my ex had left my credit so ruined, I would never have anything on credit ever again. He said, "Oh, you would be surprised!" He gave me a price ($500+/- & told me to "go shopping!"). He "said" he ran my credit. I walked out with an order for a very expensive phone and wifi service. Within two weeks, the phone arrived -- I never opened it (it was tossed on the porched by whomever-delivery). I used the wifi service for surfing only. One day -- about 2 weeks in, I watched "A" movie on Netflix. The phone started getting massive texts from Verizon regarding "overages." I called Verizon to be told I had rung up a "$1,799.00" BILL!!! This did NOT include the $500+/- phone (still not in the box). Because I have had this number for over 20 years, I RAN to Cricket where I had the number ported. Of course, none of the Cricket-working-phones were good enough and he forced me to purchase, which I did because I would be beholding to Verizon at midnight and this was 8:00 p.m. Somehow, I even ended up paying Cricket over $80 a month (temporarily).

Out of curiosity, I attempted to go back to Verizon and sign the Iphone 4 back up to prepaid. NO PROBLEM! Right after I ran up this outrageous bill, I received a letter stating that my credit had been declined! Duh! I NEVER even got a bill! I NEED to check on this with my credit - but I guess they dropped it (hard to believe) because they should have never let me out with the service and mailed me a $500 phone! I honestly do not know! The phone is still in the box and I pay the prepaid service of $60 (extra data) a month. No problem. I think that answers a lot. They do not track prepaid service to past accounts. I guess better to get SOME rather than nothing.

Now, my question. Will this new phone be locked? I wouldn't open it due to guilt and when I asked the store what I should do, they had no clue. I thought I might try to turn it on with a new number and then port it later. I don't know. I am still trying to figure out how I got out of that mess WITH the wifi and phone equipment. BUT, more so, I am trying to figure out WHO they are collecting $2,000 from for watching a Netflix movie.

I have ordered AT&T wifi and am now trying to get wireless television after they bought out Directv. To help out, I stopped Directv. They sent a box to return equipment, yet before I got the chance, they called to offer me a deal I could not refuse. So, I stayed. One day I got a hit on my debit card. They evidently keep up with the cards you use to pay your bill. When they could hit one of my debits with a $680 hit, THEY DID. They did not ask -- just did it. (Cost of equipment!!) They refuse to put it back even though I am back with them!! I know this is a different topic. I guess it's to show that it doesn't matter which corp. it is, they all get a piece of the pie somehow. I am stopping it at my bank after Googling and seeing that this is a VERY INTENTIONAL thing they do! It's everywhere. You can't win this day.

skenneygirl

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Yes! I have done it! Even when I still owe them (long story) -- posted under this thread. Any phone locked to Verizon seems to be able to go prepaid without any information connecting you to other accounts. I even ported my number back. Verizon is not a bad deal -- being one of the biggys. I was paying twice as much for less with Cricket. They are getting too big for their britches. Need to check out some of the others. I pay $60 to Verizon -- that is extra data. Their lowest cost is $45.

Status
Not open for further replies.