Which of these Tv's is the better choice?

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I am currently looking for a new 40+" TV that I can game on for my PS4 and PC. Initially I was convinced that I needed a 120hz tv but the more I read the more it seems that isn't needed for gaming. I have found these two tv's though. Trying to stay under $400. Which is better? They are the same price, but on Dell I can get a $120 gift card from them. The Vizio is 120hz supposedly and a smart tv, but the LG seems to have better reviews. If neither of these would be a good choice, let me know what you think would be better!

http://www.amazon.com/LG-42LB5600-42-Inch-2014-Model/dp/B00KVLT0A4/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1431418534&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E43-C2-43-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00SMBFP2W/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1431418739&sr=1-1

generally vizio is a low end brand more prone to having issues than higher end models and without having any repair parts available. however, they do offer alot of features for a low price which is why many people buy them. generally they will work fine (read reviews to see if any particular problems are noted for this model) for most people, though i always suggest buying a lg, sony or samsung.

you cannot use 120hz tvs with games. period.

the 120hz is faked. the tv adds in frames which cause lag. you will want to disable motion blur reducing tech too.

also, 120hz tvs only accept a 60hz signal (thats why they fake it) since all tv content is 60hz or less. your ps4 is also incapable of 120hz signal (they broadcast in 60hz though honestly only get 30fps in games). your pc is capable of 120hz output (generally, depending on your video card and other things) but you cant take advantage of that on a tv.

is 120hz needed for gaming? not really. if you wanted 120hz you'd need a pc monitor (but your ps4 would not be able to take advantage of this and would have to be using a 60hz connection only)

the grid-array style backlighting is superior to direct edge lighting if done correctly. it can offer a more uniform backlighting and better black levels. again, if done correctly.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah the biggest issue that I've been reading from that Vizio TV has to do with it being a smart tv, which honestly makes no difference to me since I use my PS4 for apps. I guess I feel more prone to giving them a shot because I have had a 32" LCD from Vizio for 7 years without it breaking and it looks great. Also on the topic of parts, I was told that Vizio is easy to get parts for by a repairman... was I deceived?

Back to the subject though. Which would you get? I have heard that the LG has terrible ghosting, but it does have a slightly better viewing angle vs the Vizio that seems great for gaming but has a not as great gaming angle.