Laptop around 800 euros (student).

Kraku

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
OK let's get straight to the point.

I've already done some research on it but considering the overwhelming amount of models and brands I wanted to ask in a specialized forum. Basically I have 3 options that are look good: Dell 15 series 5000 (middle of the range), Dell 13 7000 (again, the mid-price choice) and finally the Asus UX305.

I know they are rather different. I really don't care about the touch screen though, it's a nice added feature but not necessary if I can save some euros. What concerns me the most is portability and performance. It's OK as long as I can edit docs, do presentations, use it for coding (computer engineering). I don't care about graphics performance, I have a good desktop for that.

Currently the one I like the most is the Asus for its portability and looks, included SSD... considering they all are in the same price point. I'm worried about the performance of the CoreM, though.

Your thoughts on these 3 i've mentioned? I'm open to new suggestions.

Thank you.

Kraku

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
It's been quite a few days since I wrote and I've actually narrowed down my options to some models.

- Asus UX303LA: i75500U, 8GB RAM, 1Tb HDD 5400RPM 900EUR
- Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14: Convertible, i55200U, 8GB RAM, 5000Gb HDD 5400RPM + 16GbSSD cache 1024 EUR
- Lenovo Y50-70: i74720HQ, 8GB RAM, 1Tb slow HDD, GTX860M 900 EUR?
- MSI GE60: i74720HQ, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD 7200RPM, Nvidia 850M 899EUR

As you can see, I've decided to spend a bit more money in order to get something better. I know they're very different. I do like ThinkPads and that's the only one I can afford that has decent specs, although it's not a usual Thinkpad laptop. The Asus is a standard ultrabook, the one with better overall specs and build quality I could find for a reasonable price.
Both the Lenovo Y50 and MSI are "gaming laptops". Actually, the reason I've decided to put them on my list is because they are quite affordable, along with the Asus, and pack very powerfull CPUs. Discrete graphics are not necessary, albeit a good point (gaming is not a priority). I'm actually amazed at the fact that you have to turn to "gaming range" laptops to get decent specs. I mean, none of them except for the MSI have 7200RMP drives. The only drawback I can see is the shorter battery life.

Right now the MSI is my first option because of its CPU, RAM, HDD and good keyboard.

I want to know your opinion on these laptops. Also, I'd like to know whether the ULV CPU should be enough for coding (college).
Is there any other laptop with more powerful CPU that isn't focused on graphics performance?

Thank you very much.

The x1 carbon maybe a good alternative. Otherwise the asus is the best as the ulv i7 is more than enough to handle coding for collage as they will not be that complex as you are just learning how to code.

Kraku

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
The X1 Carbon looks really nice but its almost 500 euros more expensive than say the MSI or the Asus ultrabook.

Honestly, given the amount of models and specs there are, I can't decide.

Well msi is good if you want an affordable laptop but they do tend to be louder than the the x1 carbon and asus.

Asus are good with their cooling and design but you have to pay more for it.

The choice is up to you.

Kraku

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Hi again.

I recently came across a website that sells laptops you can customise. The brand is called XMG and uses Clevo chasis to build their laptops. The model I'm interested in is the XMG A305, which has a Clevo W230SD chasis, 13,3inches full HD IPS panel, GTX 960M, Intel i74710MQ, 500GB 7200RPM HDD, 8GB RAM dual channel...

It costs 1100 but has everything I want. Any opinions on this brand and this laptop?