Android Auto Test Drive: Meet Pioneer's In-Dash Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulcangrey

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
I have the Pioneer Appradio2 in my car. The firmware hasn't been updated in several years... There are some pretty big user interface issues, such as the track selection buttons moving around in various modes.. They move based on whether you are using the ipod player, or using the ipod music while viewing the GPS screen (using theaudio mixing) for instance. Hard to find on a touch screen while driving... Things like that should always be located in the same place!

The bluetoth connection to my phone failed the day my phone received Android 5.0.2. months ago, still doesn't work. they haven't fixed that. It either fails to connect, or if you can get it to connect, then it will not a 2nd time, without deleting the android pair. If you do get it connected, then it won't transfer the phone calls, or the phone book from the phone.

Pioneer should learn to support a product before developing a new one!

SJKIT

Estimable
May 7, 2015
I got the AVIC-8100NEX on Amazon.com for ~$900 and installed it in a 2011 GMC Acadia. I was immediately impressed, and very happy with this head unit. I had no previous knowledge of the commands, but Android Auto did what I asked, very quickly. This unit is solid, both with the built in apps and the Android Auto compatibility.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
I'll be sticking with my £70 refurb Nexus 7 tablet that fits perfectly into my double din hole in the dash.
Been running just fine for 18 months.

$700, what a joke.

owens

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
The interface looks really dumbed down. For a $700 unit I would expect it to have a bit more functionality and accessibility to all my apps.
Think I will stick to the Nexus 7 tablet install.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I'll be sticking with my £70 refurb Nexus 7 tablet that fits perfectly into my double din hole in the dash.
Been running just fine for 18 months.

$700, what a joke.

I agree, just by the price and the images. I immediately thought to myself, why not just a device that mirrors what is displayed on the phone through USB or Bluetooth. We don't want another device to maintain.

Add all the amplifiers they want and still produce a high quality in dash unit for less than half of the price.

hpram99

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
This is something I've been dying to see, I've been following carputers for a decade now. However... this requires Android, and not just that, Lollipop. The iPhone requirements are just as unrealistic. Smartphones still only account for half of the mobile phone market!

Status
Not open for further replies.