How to transfer/download apps to External SD card on Alcatel One Touch Pop Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamerson23

Estimable
May 5, 2015
A couple of months ago, I decided to get a 16gb SD card due to low internal storage. I'm able to get music and my pictures/videos onto the card, but for some reason, not my apps. If I were to download an app, there is a "Move to SD card" button, but when I press on it, all the data is still in the internal storage, and the amount of data that's on the SD card is 0.00 B. However, a few apps work with the card (ex. Messenger works completely fine, along with a few small games). Can someone please tell me what's happening with my phone/sd card? I've been trying to get a game but while I'm able to download it, I can't fit all the data from my account, and it's driving me nuts!

Solution
Unfortunately, this function is dependent on the Android software, and not your phone. It was removed a while ago and just never added back. Without rooting, I think you can move apps over to an extent but the core app files remain on your internal storage. From my experience, it's required a rooted device to transfer your apps to your SD card and still have them be functional, but perhaps there are new apps that are able to do this without root access—I'm a little behind on these things.

Jamerson23

Estimable
May 5, 2015

http://support.alcatelonetouch.com/Alcatel_Support_Files/Manuals/248043ed42420b15eb0f3f8b1c1456401411037846.pdf

If you don't mind, can you please read this? It's the manual for my phone. Just skip to pg 49, where it talks about the sd card. The way they are wording it, it seems as if they support app transferring to their sd card. Their FAQ also seems like it. Is this manual just outdated or do I HAVE to root my phone (trying to avoid that, as my phone is kinda rare and unique (exclusive to Telus I believe)

Unfortunately, this function is dependent on the Android software, and not your phone. It was removed a while ago and just never added back. Without rooting, I think you can move apps over to an extent but the core app files remain on your internal storage. From my experience, it's required a rooted device to transfer your apps to your SD card and still have them be functional, but perhaps there are new apps that are able to do this without root access—I'm a little behind on these things.

Solution

Jamerson23

Estimable
May 5, 2015

Alright, thanks for the info. I was really confused because of the way they worded it, I guess I may eventually have to root it, even though I still kinda consider it as dangerous, and my phone isn't very common.

Wait, you did say that core app files have to be on the sd card still. I'm actually completely fine with that. The #1 problem for me is the app data (I play games like Brave Frontier where the actual game may not be big, but the data is around 500mb) Am I able to transfer app data at least? If that's the case than I'll be fine with some parts of the app on internal storage.

littlebadboy

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
I am looking at getting the same phone model because my aging LG Optimus L9 seems to be failing. My LG used to not allow moving apps either and I had to root it. You still can't move apps but you will be able to link it to your sd. There is a process, just google how to root your phone and then install Link2SD from Google Play.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.