DELL inspiron N5010 not able to get into Windows to restore

Greg W

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
Hi all

I have a problem with a DELL inspiron N5010 that will not log into windows, it boots up and stops and flashes from black to desktop over and over again, this happens just before the account icons come up. I have tested this is safe mode as well, plus also debugging and last known good boot.

I am able to access the system by using a third party boot disc, of which I used to do the backup.

I am also not able to perform a repair via the F8 method to access the DELL recovery to return to factory restore. The Ctrl/F11 option doe snot work either. As above even using the repair option it gets to just before the login icons showing ans it starts to flash on an odd again. I have left it like that for quite a while to see if it would resolve itself but no.

So how can I access the Dell recovery drive to do a factory reset if the F8 and F11 options do not work?

If I reformat the current C drive will that work?

Hello Greg W.

I am not sure which operating system you are using but I assume that it is Windows 7.

If you have already created a rescue media (a one-time process that every new laptop offers to build), you can boot your computer using that media and use Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup to restore the system back to factory defaults.

However if you have not yet created the media, you can insert an installation disc for Windows 7 (or any other operating system that you are using) in the CD/DVD drive, click Repair your computer, and then go to Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup to recover the system to the factory settings.

You can see the step-by-step instructions on restoring your system back to factory defaults in this video.

Optionally you can also order recovery discs online from Dell. Even though the discs may not cost anything (when order for the first time), you may need to pay for the handling and shipping charges. You can check this with the Dell's official website.

After you get the recovery discs, you can follow the instructions explained above to restore your Windows back to factory defaults.

Hope this helps. :)

Greg W

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
Correct it is Windows 7.

Thanks for your suggestions, I have been able to get to system restore via an install disc for Windows 7, Doing a system restore now and hopefully all goes well.

I did not get an option for 'Dell DataSafe Restore and Emergency Backup', but will do the restore and see if I can get it after that

Thanks