Win an Apple Watch from Tom's Guide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsguideUS

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
Smartwatches are the next big thing, and your wrist deserves the best.

We got our hands on an Apple Watch, the most anticipated smartwatch of them all! We could wear it around ourselves, but we want to give it to a member of the Tom's Guide Community!

win_appleWatch_article_w_600.jpg

Curious about how to win? Read on for the details!

We're giving away a 42mm Apple Watch Sport (it retails for $399). It comes in an anodized aluminum case and features Ion-X glass to prevent dings and scratches. With a high performance synthetic rubber sport band, you'll have everyone on the track and in the office in awe of your timepiece.

The Apple Watch requires an iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.2 or later.

How to Enter:

Leave a comment and tell us how you're going to use the watch. What functionality will you use most often? What outfit will you match it with when you go out on the town? Which apps are you planning on downloading? Why are you excited about awesome new features like force touch and the digital crown?

That's it! Simple, right?

We will be taking entries until April 24, 2015 - the Apple Watch's launch date. On that day, the thread will close and we'll throw all of the eligible contestant's usernames into our randomizer. We'll contact winners via private message, so be sure to keep an eye on your inbox!

This contest is open to members of the Tom's Guide community anywhere in the world. Be sure to get your entries in now!

Good luck!

Note: We have a winner! Our randomizer went through all of the names and chose Anthony Christensen! Congratulations, Anthony! Thanks to everyone who entered, and we hope to see you all around the forums! Have thoughts about the Apple Watch? Let us know in our Smartwatch section!

Karl d

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
Its a new way of being more efficiently connected while being social, we can discreetly look at the notification we receive and be less sticky to the phone, answer important msgs quickly, emails...keeping track of my fitness "health" during the day is something that is very important and the black rubber suits almost every outfit that we could use everyday! Concerning the apps i cant wait to explire the watch store!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
If I had one, I will largely use it for notifications, telling time, and hopefully for some development (hopefully to get a server monitor going in order to have a few useful stats at a glance).

For fashion, you do not get a watch to go with a specific piece of clothing, if they were designed in such a way, yo would need a different watch for almost every day of the week.
If a device is functional enough with some utilitarian qualities, then it will match with any clothing.

Aaron AK

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
My primary use case for this would be around using Siri to set to-do action items without having to take out my phone and unlock it. Second case would be fitness.

The applications I would use would most likely be news and calendar -- with some text notifications and delivery notifications. I see the device as a convenient way to make me more productive without having to fiddle with a phone.

I would also be very interested in seeing use cases with home automation and the control of my multi-media devices -- Sonos, Apple TV, etc.

My primary use will be business, so to the question of outfit I would say casual business so the mesh and stainless link bands interest me the most.

In terms of the touch technology, I am still getting used to this on my MacBook Pro, and I do like it in that medium. I would have to try it on the watch to see how it fits within the application design and my use case. If it saves me moving my hand to use the crown or another button, then I will like it.

I think the digital crown is clever as it is a familiar watch feature cleverly used in a smart watch application. However, I think the overall design would have been more aesthetically pleasing if it were round -- I think the Moto 360 design is an overall better watch looking design regardless of the loss of screen space in a round platform.

Personally, I want to get one on my wrist and use it to best appreciate how it will work for me. Want to help me out with that? :)

I'll write a detailed review and a month-in-the-life article for you on my experiences.

Wittywelshgamer

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
I'd use it for pretty much anything.From putting my baby to sleep with mini stories and playing RPG'S like the new RuneScape.

to be honest, I'd wear it with pretty much anything. With tech like this, you don't need to change your.outfit.

lastly my family are very strict about using.phones at the table so I could quickly anwser calls without them noticing.
Thanks!

Jrossgreene

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
I would use this watch to Know what time it is. I know using a watch to tell time may seem unusual but it's the best thing I can think to do with it. I will also be using it to check notifications and such so I don't have to pull the phone out all the time. Changing the music tracks is also a great feature while in the car since it is illegal to handle your phone in lots of places. Also send creepy heartbeats to friends and loved ones that also have the watch.

DanielWarner

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
I love the idea of the apple watch. It is a great easy source for receiving messages and stop using my iPhone as much. I would us the watch when I start to restore my classic car, it would be really handy to have the watch as you can feel with the vibration when you use the Apple Watch. I would definitely use the E bay app that because it would be really handy to find auction information. Also, I love the idea of the quick messaging reply's.
The apple watch is so much better than all other smart watches providing easy navigation and a fantastic crown so that the screen is not blocked.

bilalahmed

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
If I get an apple watch, I will give it to my wife who is using iphone 6 plus. It will be an excellent gift and a very useful productivity tool for her daily use. I am sure that after having this watch she will never miss my call again.

Blake33

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
Well first off, if I win this watch it wouldn't be for me. I promised my cousin whom is a survivor of cancer that I would get her something special. She just finished her last session of chemotherapy, and I feel extremely blessed to still have her in my life. I asked her what she wants as a gift, and I wasn't expecting her to say an apple watch. It's something I can't afford right now, so I feel like this is a great opportunity. Speaking for her I would say she would def enjoy being able to do small tasks when she's not using her iPhone. She has this cute sun dress that she wears a lot lol and I would say that's the clothing item she would pair with this watch. Thanks ! And good luck to everyone !

athurman

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I'm going to use the watch to integrate all of the current technologies that I am dependent on such as contacts, communication - voice/txt/visual, GPS, ApplePay/NFC, fitness devices, calendars, photos, music, information searching, etc... all in the convenience of one place, on my wrist, essentially becoming part of me. The functionality I will likely use most will be the various communication apps. All outfits should match, regardless of whether going to work, out on the town, or running. The apps I am most keen on downloading would be the HealthKit apps. I feel that the new technologies like force touch and the digital crown represent an innovative way to make useful interactions on a tiny screen area.

I cannot wait!

That's it! Simple, right?

We will be taking entries until April 24, 2015 - the Apple Watch's launch date. On that day, the thread will close and we'll throw all of the eligible contestant's usernames into our randomizer. We'll contact winners via private message, so be sure to keep an eye on your inbox!

This contest is open to members of the Tom's Guide community anywhere in the world. Be sure to get your entries in now!

Good luck![/quotemsg]

Frank Neill

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
I'm most excited about quick notifications - allowing me to stop reaching into my pocket for my iPhone so often - and for tracking my heart rate during exercise. The additional functions - music controlling, Uber, Salesforce, Twitter also look very cool.

Stilgar99

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
I plan on using Siri, and Calendar reminders, and also the remote pay features. I may try the calls but dont expect to use that much. And of course TIME!
I hope the watch allows me to use my phone less.

Stilgar

curtis206

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I would use the watch notifications the most to keep up with tweets. It would also work great as the cpu for my bike rides.

sangs

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
For the most part I'd be using it to stay on top of all the messages and calls that I'm missing as I'm mostly away from my phone, or fail to notice it. However, I'd also use it to replace my fitbit flex which is now running out of juice and runs dry by the end of the day.

Since my usage is purely practical, I doubt that I'd be downloading too many third party apps, as for the most part it's already very good with the provided Apple apps. The Force Touch and Digital Crown are definitely interesting, but I'd have to wait and see how useful they actually are, Digital Crown seems fairly useful as it would allow me to keep the screen smudge free (for the most part) but I'm not so sure about the functionality of Force Touch.

Overall, I'd probably match it with my usual gym clothes and business casual when I'm out and about. I hope this qualifies! :)

Kacz26

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
I will most likely use the watch face functionality the most... seriously, not even being a jerk... I want the white sports band.. for more universal/casual looks and the blue leather loop for nicer occasions. Breaking News is updated for Apple Watch, that excites me! I think force touch and the digital crown are both unique ways of maneuvering and allowing some dexterity when dealing with such a small surface. While other manufacturers simply omit functionality or try to squeeze in impossibilities (gestures), Apple is finding new ways, sometimes using familiar technology (crown), to clear the hurdles. This is just the beginning for "force touch" and think its application will be a game changer, cross platform..

Adrienne Z

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
I would give this watch to my son who will be leaving for college in August. It will be his first time away from home and he would know EXACTLY what to do with this watch and will no doubt use it for navigating a city he is not familiar with, using the apps for all responsibilities that go with becoming a young adult and on his own in life and creating a future for himself with a college degree. He is focusing on business and marketing and would find this watch a useful tool in accessing functions required for homework, class assignments, research, marketing studies etc that he needs to fulfill his classroom requirements. I am hoping to provide him with this innovative tool to help him succeed with his academic goals.

Cole Wolk

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
I love the apple watch, and have since the start. It's the best smartwatch out there, but unfortunately that means it also is the priciest. I would love it if I were to win this sweepstakes, as I could finally have the device I've waited so long for.

I would use the watch everyday, and use every one of its multitude of functions. A few of my current favorite are listed below:
-The discrete taps from taptic engine, letting me know when I receive a notification or a call. This would allow me to be more reliable, as I occasionally miss calls when I don't have my phone on me.
-The heart rate sensor, workout, and activity functions. This will help me to stay more active, pushing myself everyday to reach my goal
-The watch! I could never forget about its main purpose; to tell time. I love how there is a great variety of watch faces. A few of my favorites are the motion and simple faces.
-Everything else. This is a great device, and its hard to single out certain functions, not to mention how it looks or feels. Apple did a great job in every area of this watch, except for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.