Laptop wont connect with Wifi but will with ethernet

shayneperry

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
Im not too techy guys so please bare with me.

Ive had my mums old sony vaio laptop as my hard drive has given up. this laptop is running windows vista home premium. it won't connect to my wifi router with wifi but will with the ethernet cable.

I have checked and the wifi toggle on laptop is on and enabled.

in netwrok sharing it says limited connection, local only, public network.

when i plug the ethernet in, it asked me to create a profile for the connection etc and all went as usual. excellent signal strength etc.

I have followed lots of guides off the interenet but none have been successful (unchecked ivp6, tired auto obtain ip etc, entered ip manually etc).

the lapttop worked fine on my mums wifi and it connnects to my iphone if i turn personal hotsopt on, on my phone and it gets web pages etc. so i know wifi works on the laptop.

I also know the router works as my ipad (wifi only model) connects fine and surfs the net as normal.

the lapt and router are not talking and i need to sort it out. can some one please help me and tell me what to do so i can fix this pesky problem. I can ipconfig, and get into the router settings. let me know what i need to provide to you guys to make sense of whats going on as the ipconfig results and info in the router settings mean little to me.

Scar73

Estimable
Mar 8, 2015
Try pinging your router and outside sources. type ipconfig. Under Default gateway there should be a number like 192.168.1.1

In command prompt type "ping 192.668.1.1" or whatever the default gateway address is without the quotes.

shayneperry

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
Ping not successful. 4 packets sent 0 received and 4 lost

Scar73

Estimable
Mar 8, 2015
Are you sure you are wirelessly connected to the proper router? and do not have the ethernet cable plugged in? (Leave the ethernet out!).

Try updating your drivers for your laptops network adapter. It sounds like the router is generally new and works on a higher frequency than your laptop network adapter knows how to connect to and communicate.

To update your drivers connect the laptop via ethernet and go to device manager and update drivers or download the latest ones from the network adapters manufacture.