Sign in with
Your question

How do i unlock 4th core on hp pavillion m9250f?

Last response: in Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking
December 31, 2011 5:17:13 PM

did a cpu test and my quad core is only detecting 3 cores .how do i fix it to see all 4 cores ?
a c 117 à CPUs
a b α HP
December 31, 2011 6:49:38 PM

If you have a quad and only 3 cores are working, then you may have a defective CPU. Is the CPU a Q6700? Have you checked if it's possible to disable cores in the BIOS?
m
l
January 10, 2012 8:42:26 PM

GhislainG said:
If you have a quad and only 3 cores are working, then you may have a defective CPU. Is the CPU a Q6700? Have you checked if it's possible to disable cores in the BIOS?

cpu is a 6700 . unable to disable cores in bios .
m
l
Related resources
a c 152 à CPUs
January 10, 2012 9:09:10 PM

According to Intel's website the Q6700 is a quad core. If it truly is not showing all four cores you might have gotten a screwed up CPU. When you go into task manager under performance how many core graphs does it show? Three or four?
m
l
January 12, 2012 12:01:25 AM

rds1220 said:
According to Intel's website the Q6700 is a quad core. If it truly is not showing all four cores you might have gotten a screwed up CPU. When you go into task manager under performance how many core graphs does it show? Three or four?

it only shows 3 graphs . if my cpu is screwed how much will a new one cost ?
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
January 12, 2012 1:15:01 AM

Well it's a 775 socket and they're old and I'm guessing this computer isn't still under warranty? If it is by some chance still under warranty HP should replace it for free either with another Q6700 or something else. If it is not still under warranty then you'll have to buy a new one yourself. Problem is it might be hard to get a replacement since they are out of stock and de-activated at New Egg and other computer stores. Check Hp's website and find your model computer and check the CPU support list. Maybe it will accept a newer version of Intel CPU.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
a b α HP
January 12, 2012 1:41:24 AM

You can also try reinstalling the operating system. It is possible that something in the OS became corrupted and is preventing the 4th core from being recognized.

This is a long shot, but it is worth a try since the cost is $0. Just make sure you backup all important files on your C: drive before doing a fresh reinstall.
m
l
January 12, 2012 9:12:27 PM

i think i will up grade my processor , one that will be accepted by the motherboard , a Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx. think that will solve the problem ?
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
January 12, 2012 10:26:38 PM

If the motherboard is compatible with the processor then yes. But again it's best to check your model's CPU compatiblity list to be sure it will work. It has to be the right company (Intel in this case), right socket and right TDP or it won't work. You'll spend a 100+ dollars on a CPU paper weight if it's not compatible with the motherboard.
m
l
January 13, 2012 8:22:53 PM

i checked with hp website and the cpu is listed as an upgrade . when i find one and install it , will let you know how it goes .
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 9:20:05 PM

you can also just keep the current cpu as performance wise if it works on 3 cores you'd actually not see much difference spending money on a new cpu.
m
l
February 19, 2012 10:34:22 PM

susan-johanna-muus said:
i checked with hp website and the cpu is listed as an upgrade . when i find one and install it , will let you know how it goes .

in the meantime, you might benefit from removing the cpu and heatsink, clean and inspect, use high quality heatsink paste, reassemble.
m
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter