First Time Building a PC

Brasky7

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015
I'm building my first pc and wanted to ask if anyone thinks that this would be a decent budget build. Radeon R9 270 GPU, AMD FX-6300 CPU, Asus M5A99 FX PRO Motherboard, Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD, EVGA 500W Power Supply,Crucial Ballistix Sport 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM, with a Zalman High Performance Mid Tower Case. So if anyone has any tips or better hardware i could use instead of what i have decided on i would greatly appreciate your input thanks.

Solution
That sounds like a great system. My first build I didn't have the budget for a graphics card and gaming was not something I wanted anyway, so I made sure to pick a motherboard that had on board graphics. For this to be a 'budget' build, you left out what your budget is and how much you were able to source these components for.

For example, that power supply is listed between forty and fifty dollars depending on where you buy.

I think you may want to get a larger PSU now if you plan to upgrade your system later. It's not the total wattage that is important. You need to ensure you have enough of the particular voltage that gets used. Usually the 12 volt rail runs short first. If you were to add another graphics card then you would...

kedwa30

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
That sounds like a great system. My first build I didn't have the budget for a graphics card and gaming was not something I wanted anyway, so I made sure to pick a motherboard that had on board graphics. For this to be a 'budget' build, you left out what your budget is and how much you were able to source these components for.

For example, that power supply is listed between forty and fifty dollars depending on where you buy.

I think you may want to get a larger PSU now if you plan to upgrade your system later. It's not the total wattage that is important. You need to ensure you have enough of the particular voltage that gets used. Usually the 12 volt rail runs short first. If you were to add another graphics card then you would fall short. The 500W is plenty of power for adding hard drives though. On the other hand, you can probably just buy a second PSU when you need it if you decide to add a second graphics card and connect it to the first in order to supplement the power. Cases are not usually designed to house multiple power supplies, but I think you could hack it.
All that is moot if you will never be upgrading it. You might opt for a new build.
Anyway, here is a power calculator I recently found: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

In fact you could buy two 500W power supplies for less than it would cost to buy a 750W power supply. So for a budget build you might think outside the box and essentially hack your own power supply and case. Don't get me wrong, the case looks awesome, but if you were talking budget, then the case is something you can scrimp on so you have more budget for more ram or better components. I mean, why 8 gig when you could possibly max it out at 32 gig ram? If you are only going to get 8gig, then get one 8gig sim so you can easily expand later. But if that board requires you to add two at a time, then skimp on the case so you can go ahead and get 16gig.
You might be thinking, why get more ram than I need? Well, you are getting a spinny drive instead of a SSD, so you will want a ram drive for your temp directory. What you do is get a nice 64 bit bare metal hypervisor to manage all that ram and that way even a 32 bit OS guest will be able to access the ram as a ramdrive.

Solution