Anyone ever build their own amplifier?

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
In my quest to find a small cost effective but powerful 2 channel amp for my PC's amazing soundcard (Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD) I have come up short. I mean yeah theres some out there, but at $500 for a Denon, or $400 for the Creative, etc I just don't see spending that kind of coin for the size.

So I've read a bit about GainClone amp kits based on the 47 Labs Gaincard amp which is a really high end amp design. http://chipamp.com/ sells some very nice kits that put out 68 Watts of power per channel. Paired with some nice speakers, and maybe I can add a sub out, this should really give me some high quality sound for a far lower price. I am considering doing it in a 1U or 2U case as well so I can mount it under my desk (yeah I lose the small factor, but the under the desk out of the way aspect makes it better).

I've worked with electronics before so I'm not scared of soldering or anything. Anyone done it?

Sounds like you might have some fun doing it but be aware that the power specs are often not what you think they are. Most amps are rated into 8 ohms so if they rate the chip into 4 ohms half the power to compare. Also the consumer products are rated RMS after a specific FTC mandated warm up procedure so you can compare specs from model to model somewhat. Derate the chip amp again since they don't have to do this. Could be a huge difference in actual power. If the power supply is not maxed out to the chips spec the power will also be reduced.
Before you worry about the case build it on a wooden board and see how you like it since the cabinet may be more than the amp kit.
You could also pick up a used power amp for $150 (NAD, Parasound, Adcom for example).

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

Its funny when you first look at it it seems cheaper, but then when you really build what you want, it kind of ends up more expensive! I still may do it anyway just for the fun of it. The 68 watts I read was for 4 ohms, but yeah I don't even know if its RMS or what (probably is not). Still mulling it around in my head. Thanks for the reply!