Spilt liquid on my brand new MSI GS60 Ghost-470 Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphorical

Estimable
May 6, 2014
Hello all,

Yesterday morning, I mistakenly spilt orange juice on the left side of my laptop. I immediately started to dry it up with paper towels. I then turned it off, then turned it on it's side, and proceeded to use a blow dryer to dry the keyboard.

I noticed off the bat that the backlit LEDs of the keyboard were flickering, but at that point, that's all that was wrong with it. I then started to notice more.

I noticed that the [ESC] key was intermittently working, and then stopped working in general. Then the F1-F4 keys did not work. After these keys stopped working, the LEDs stopped flickering. Then, I noticed when I would type specific keys, it would type more than that key. (Ex: If I type "y" it would type "uy", and if I typed "/" it would type "/[", and if I typed "3" it would type "35".)

I have gotten in touch with a close friend of mine who is much better with PC hardware than I am, and he said it seems to be an issue with the keyboard, and not the motherboard. He said that replacing the keyboard may be necessary.

I am in the process of trying to check my warranty (I purchased the laptop through NewEgg, and I believe I purchased the "1 Year Accident Protection Plan" but they can't find my order number, and said that the purchase was cancelled..). Hopefully, I have the accident insurance, and can have it fixed by a professional, if needed.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips on how I can repair this on my own or even to prevent further damage. I have electrical cleaner that I will be trying later today, but I just don't understand why the keys are pressing themselves.

Thank you so much in advance!

- Paul

DEADLY9996

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
I've found even a little bit of liquid can cause a whole lot of problems with keyboards, to the point it's not worth trying to fix... sometimes you might get lucky and it will clear up, but i'm guessing liquid remains within the circuitry , at which point, it's buggered.

Best bet is to buy a new one off ebay, they can be pretty reasonable £6-£12 quid.

Only other option is too thoroughly dry it out maybe? i did think about shoving mine in the over! haha..

Euphorical

Estimable
May 6, 2014

Ya everything seems to now be back to normal, besides the keys [ESC], and F1 - F3. This is just puzzling, as everything else has gone back to the way it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.