Sling TV vs. PlayStation Vue: Online TV Services Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinoT

Estimable
Mar 19, 2015
I don't pay that much more for my DirecTV account monthly and I don't have to rely on the local cable company to get the service. With my new wireless setup, I just don't see any big advantage to going to something like this.

Michael Cannon

Estimable
Mar 19, 2015
Why pay extra for network TV and local channels?.... it's all free with an antenna!

It looks like a big part of what Sony is charging you for with Vue, is available for free with a quality antenna.

Orbit29

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I only pay $34.99 for 70+channels, it's only $44.95 for 100 channels and that includes the local channels. Not sure where you get $50.00 from.

Edwin_19

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
I think another thing you should add is ps vue can not be used outside your home. Its tied to your ip address as where as sling you can sign in from anywhere

PJ_4__

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
I use Roku and OTA TV (OTA = around 20 stations I will wattch, and over 100 in my area), I also like live TV ... To date (10/2016) I've been using Sling TV (blue package $25 per month) for around a year now and I like it. I'm trying PS Vue cheapest plan ($30 and its day 3 for the trial) The reason Im trying PS Vue because Sling does not offer TLC, Discovery, Destination America, and Disney is not offered with Sling blue package unless I want to pay $40.. nah). As far as OTA (MICHAEL CANNON post). You dont get A&E, FoodTV, History, etc... those cable type channels OTA, but OTA does have more then enough... but I wanted more without spending lots .

Anyway I like BOTH... now all I have to do is choose what stations I would watch more that the other company does not offer.

I do not see PSv offer A&E, History. and I did not see that STV offered TLC, Discovery, Dest Amca, Fox News. and those is what I like

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
keep in mind local channels are not available everywhere for PS vue, only a few cities actually. it does add to the cost in those areas since they have to pay to carry the local feed. i use it myself and love it. antenna gives locals (33 free channels in my area) and the rest i get from vue.

something i have yet to see noted on any of these reviews is that to set-up profiles on vue you HAVE to have a PS 3 or 4. works great on other devices but you can't set-up profiles for multiple users outside of the PS interface. happen to have a PS 3 in my house to use but others may not have access to one to set up the profiles.

other than that, i freaking love the service. you may not be able to watch live feeds outside of home but you can still access all the channel apps with your vue login juts like other cable services so you can still access a ton of stuff away from home.

the cloud based dvr is nice as well. unlimited and each profile gets it own to use. only get 28 days to watch but should be plenty of time to stay up to date on your shows.

Hoskins2

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
I only pay $30/month, not $50 for 55+ channels on Vue. I assume $50 was from one of the larger markets? Went with Vue due to DVR and 5 streams at once. You do NOT need a PS3/4 to create an account or to set up profiles, and I watch just fine outside of the home via mobile. It is true that you cannot receive ALL content, but it is not completely locked down.

I would however, recommend the Amazon products at home over the Chromecast and Roku products. Having used all 3, the Amazon gives you a TV Guide, AND allows you set up/create additional user accounts - the other two do not as far as I could tell. Much cleaner UI than that of the Roku and casting device any way you cut it.

More streaming devices coming like DirecTv, but it's been reported only 1-2 streams at once. We'll see what happens with that one and with Google and Hulu. So far, Vue is winning IMHO.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
thanks for the info. been 2 months since i set up vue service and at that point there was no way for profiles outside of PS systems. good to know amazon has the option now as well. hopefully roku and the others will also see this feature soon enough.

i was a bit annoyed that i could not just go online to the account and set them up. still not sure why that is not an option. the FAQ at the time specifically stated the PS was the only way to do it. i hope they come to their senses and just add in an online option. i don't miss the guide at all on the roku and actually prefer the way roku has it over the guide the PS has. really odd way to organize it thye chose.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
hopefully they get them back. don't care for many of those channels but losing spike tv hurts. need my lip sync battle :D

comedy central is important as well but can stream new south park episodes either way so still good.

vaharleygirl

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Agreed - losing Comedy Central for Late Show, and Spike for LSB, sucks. OTOH, getting BBC America is nice, got my mom hooked on Dr Who, and my Alzheimer's-afflicted dad likes the Star Trek marathons.

Hopefully Vue will get the Viacom channels back.

And agree about the $29.99/mo starting point - even when I tried them in July, it was only $30/mo to start. The top tier is I think $55/mo & includes HBO & SHO.

Elevator Guy

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Ps Vue review for Midwest region, I mainly want service for sports, I DVR 2 Fox Midwest Blues Hockey games, both games missed up to 4 minutes of gameplay at the end due to DVR, there are no settings to lengthen time for DVR.
DVR 3 football game 1 had terrible resolution and other 2 were just OK, I have fast Charter $60 a month internet, I used ethernet to a powerful Nvidia Shield TV console, so I cancelled the $35 a month PS Vue service.
I would rejoin service if both these problems were fixed.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i jumped to the directv now service that just launched. no dvr yet nor roku/PS/XB support yet but it'll be there early next year.

but for $35 a month for 100 channels was too good to pass up. if i don't like it can always go back to vue. love the no contract part of it :)

they even send a free fire stick with first month paid. throw in the free week trial and you get 5 weeks of it for the cost of a fire stick!! if you've ever had directv, think of the ~$70 package that was all but a couple of the channels before adding in any premiums. that's the package they are offering for $35 right now. price is not supposed to go up if you maintain the account and don't change the package. plus you can add HBO for $5 more if you wish.

no better deal out there right now that i know of.

jsh169

Estimable
May 12, 2014
Why isn't an option like Streamsmart tv on here? Is it because it's basically new? My friend can access cable channels on his tv for free with internet, it's weird try to find more info on the devices, because there is a million different variations, but can't.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
the article itself was about PS Vue vs sling TV which is why it is not included here.

that specific product and those like it, are not on the site anywhere since it is basically a fancy way to pirate media. package it how you want but pirating is pirating and not condoned on this site nor supported in any way. do you really think there is some legit "free" way to view all the stuff most people have to pay for? it's simply pirating the stuff from across the web which is not legal and not a good thing to do.

so....yah...that's why it's not on here.

Blue Moon32

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
I have Comcast and I like it very much but can not afford $161.00 every month on disability. I love live t especially news. I stream a lot on my tv since I am disabled what else is there to do. I love horror, drama, lifetime, Christian like TBN, Hagee, Billy Graham and more. I love all kinds of programming too many t mention. I have the original Roku, and my Comcast might soon be shut off. I don't know much about the PlayStation Vue, and the other streaming devices. If it takes 3 devices to get comparable TV watching like Comcast and much cheaper I am all for it. I just need help with how or which devices to do it with. Please someone communicate back to me. God Bless you all!

AD

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i just switched from playstation vue to the new directv now service. it is basically the $70 sattelite package you can get but it streams through the internet. right now you can get the $60 a month service for $35 and it comes with a free amazon fire stick (it only works right now on fire stick or apple tv).

it is an awesome solution and for only $35 a month it beats the heck out of anything else out there right now. throw in the free fire stick you don't even have to lay out any other cash to get started. all you'll need is your internet access and an antenna for local channels as they are not on the service yet.

an antenna should run about $40 or so and can be had at your local walmart/best buy type place. the $35 is supposed to stay the same forever so long as you don't change the service. can't find a better solution right now in streaming services. say goodbye to yur expensive cable bill and all those BS fees and charges thay tack on :)

https://directvnow.com/ go here for info and your free week trial

John_582

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Only issue with Direct TV and yes I ran Direct TV and Vue on the same unit, going back and forth testing them and Direct would keep hanging up or trying to buffer. Vue never did, nor did Sling TV - I just felt Vue's options were better.

Status
Not open for further replies.