Random Boot Loop

rasheekee

Estimable
Jul 14, 2014
I have a MSI GT780DXR that is randomly going into a boot loop. The laptop will run fine for 2-8 hours most times then it will restart and get to the windows login screen and reboot again and sometimes will only get to the windows loading screen and reboot but this is as far as it gets and just keeps rebooting. The CPU/GPU temps when reboot happens: Idle/Load CPU: 40-60c GPU: 45-70c so I do not believe it is heat related. I have tested the RAM,HDD,CPU and drivers, parts tested by replacing with other working parts and drivers with clean installs and testing with each driver. The problem also occurs in linux so it's not related to Windows. I ran a live linux for 6.5 hours with no reboots and then started a game and within 30 min the reboots began yet during a test the day before I was able to game for 8 full hours before the reboots started yet I have also had them start as early as 10 min after turning the laptop on for the first time that day. So the reboot loops are very random and the only hardware I have not tested is the GPU and motherboard due to cost of the components.

Any advise would be helpful.

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
I have to congratulate you on your troubleshooting methods :)

If temps are fine it probably means you have a shot mobo. Unfortunately that means a new laptop. Looks like yours isn't under warranty so that will be expensive.

rasheekee

Estimable
Jul 14, 2014
That's what I thought because I have never had a bad GPU cause boot loops. Guess I could remove the MOBO and look for any raised caps or fried IC's. Thank you for the reply.