An 860m worth getting soon?

testador

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
Hi!

Question: Do you think is 860m is still my best option under $1k right now?

I need a laptop in the next 2 weeks. Can’t wait more for future-better GPU-CPUs.
I can’t find good deals of newer GPUs for less than $1000 yet and most 860m deals are still around $950
So, is that the best I can get currently?

If so, deciding between:
ASUS ROG GL551 (I see it only around $1k)
ACER V15 NITRO BLACK (I see it around $1k or on occasion at $900)

Questions: Do you think I should jump and get the Acer v15 nitro now? or is there anything better now?
Is the Acer v15 still futureproof for the use I describe below?

-Budget around $1000usd Want: 15? – i7 – at least 860m
Use: Media production: VERY LARGE and TONS of photoshop files. Overall adobe suite very heavily. Some video editing & 3d production. /// Games: Recent games at good quality (hopefully similar to current consoles?) Hoping to continue for games for coming 2-3 years even if at lower specs
-Prefer with OS. Not required. HDD-only is ok. I may try to install SSD later -I dont know about replacing display panel myself.

Thanks!

I can't say if there is a better deal for a gaming laptop than the Acer V15 Nitro since I generally do not follow gaming laptops, but I can tell you that nVidia 9xx series GPUs are nothing more than 8xx series GPUs with a slight increase in clockspeeds. A GTX 960m will only be slightly faster than the GTX 860m and no where near the power of the GTX 870m.

testador

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
Thank you jaguarskx for you comment. I understand then that the wait for a 9xx may not be worth it since I am in a bit of a hurry.

I can't find a good option with 870m under $1000usd. So I deduced my best level for that budget is an 860m. Do you think so? Do you know of any other good 860ms?