This 'Smart' Lock May Have Dangerously Dumb Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoffitron

Estimable
Mar 11, 2015
I think most burglars would smash a window before attempting to brute-force their way onto someone's WLAN. It's a lot easier, from their perspective.

With respect to accessing a phone, if someone has your phone, they could just as well have your key. And your key doesn't require a passcode OR a fingerprint to work.

So, while the knocking and voice control are definitely less secure than a key, that doesn't hold for the simple "tap to unlock" use case.

superpotential

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015
I think this came out first. http://time.com/3721905/open-sesame-android-wear/
That makes this the 3rd Sesame in 3 weeks. Have people seriously run out of ideas?

Rogues

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
I share your concerns with the knock part... there are definitely some concerns there, but when you talk about losing your phone, you're way off. If you do not lock your phone, you should have way more concerns than someone now having possible access to your home. These days, everyone's banking and other personal info are on the their phone; people are starting to use it as their digital wallet. Your first concern over a lost phone should not be your smart lock but should be possible identity theft. Both Apple and Google offer services to remotely wipe and disable lost phones. A properly secured phone really negates any points about this. And if you think about it, it's better than a lost key; you can't remotely disable a lost key... you have to change out the locks completely.

Phishing on the App Store? Come on, man, this is ridiculous. So we have to assume a hacker some how gets his fake sesame app on the App Store, then this hacker also happens to get you to be stupid enough to download it AND this hacker has to live close enough to you to actually gain access to your home. That is a lot of work. I'd sooner just use a bump key or break a window to gain access.

Usually "hackers" are more interested in the digital side of your life, such as your banking info and identity. Breaking and entering is a different ball game from identity theft. These criminals are generally two very different types.

Status
Not open for further replies.