Locked Laptops No password

Jeff_James

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
I have a job cleaning repo houses, bank owned homes, or what ever you call them. For the most part 80% of the stuff we take out is plain junk! But the other 20% is a gold mine! You name it we have found it. Money, flat screen TV's, surround sound systems and laptops. We have a rule. Who ever see something first gets to keep it. If no one wants it, it gets pitched!

Anyways I have 6 laptops Dell, HP and a couple I have no clue what they are. I know zero about computers. I am lucky I know how to check my email! But I digress. Any who, the other day when it was snowing like a monther, I pulled a couple out to see if they worked. One didn't do a darn thing. But two came on went through the start up, I guess you would call it, and then went to a screen that just had a white bar for a password. No start in the corner, no nothing just the white bar.

I have searched the web to see if I can get into them to open them and reset them, deleting all the personal B.S. but can't find anything on how to do this. I would have no clue what is on them as in Windows 7, Windows XP or so on. Several places I have searched on the internet said it can be done but I would need to show ownership where ever I would take it to.

There in lies the problem.

I don't have anything to show ownership. Like I said they were found in forclosed homes. Any insight on what I can do to prove they are now mine or how to get them opened? I would like to remove all of it before I even started using one or even sell one. I also don't want the pervious owners to be called as I know darn well they will take them back and I figure if they had 6 months to get it out in the first place, it must not of been on the top of their list to keep. As if it wasn't for me taking them they would be in a landfill somewhere. Any ideals?

Thanks to all.

Jeff_James

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
Nope not illegal at all. The bank waits 60 days AFTER they take the house back for the people to get their stuff out. If they don't come and get the items after 60 days we are called to get rid of the items any way we want to.

My boss was owned his business for over 10 years and could own an appliance store with all the stoves, refridge., washers and dryers. He has a HUGE garage sale twice a year and sells the stuff for $25.00 each!

I mean how many months, years should a bank give a person to get their stuff out of a house before they get rid of it? a years? 2 years? 5 years