jay gaffey

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I bought a Forerunner 735XT from Garmin on Friday to use for the Ultra Trail Australia 100km trail run.

Pros: It was very compact, user friendly and comfortable with a colour screen.

Cons: It was useless!! The distances were out by nearly 30km, (and those of you who do endurance sports will understand how annoying looking at the wrong distance for hours on end can be), and the battery ran flat at 17 hours even though it was on the ultra track setting that was meant to last for 40hours.

I called Garmin, and after 20 mins of waiting on the phone, they told me I needed to download the updates (on their new watch), and try it again. They have't replied to my three emails yet.

This watch clearly has some serious gremlins to iron out. Don’t touch it with a barge pole!

AND it’s not cheap

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
Jay - Garmin sent me a Forerunner 735XT to test too - I'll see if I have the same problem. Kudos to you for running an Ultra! The most I've ever done is a marathon.

Mar 3, 2018
I have had a TomTom spark 3 with music for 9 months now. I had 2 straps break in this period. They are not cheap to replace and they are pretty flimsy. The earphones do not fit all types of ears and they keep falling off. The fitness age concept i think we can all agree is a joke and from what I read in forums, not a funny one. At this point I'm looking for a new gps watch with music but not really sure where to go. I don't recommend spark 3 as you will definitely be disappointed with the flimsiness of the strap.

Apr 11, 2018
Samsung Gear Fit 2 or Fitbit Charge 2. Both of these measure heart rate, which is extremely important to me.

codyteddy

Prominent
Aug 12, 2018

That's a bummer! Thanks for the tip, though.