Best Antivirus Software and Apps 2015 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caanis Lupus

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
Starting my 2nd year with BitDefender. Only thing I dislike is that it has at some times popped up a nag window over a game regarding reports/updates. Besides that I hate to admit I like the wallet that comes with BitDefender, so horrible at enabling my laziness on maintaining my passwords for me.

Honeykira

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
DO NOT DOWNLOAD the free version of the Avira Anti-Virus program! Avira uses TR/Agent. 35328.246 which will persistently show itself in Avira's pop-up box, asking the user to "remove" the threat, yet this Trojan/Agent is never removed! According to ehow.com: "The Trojan.Agent virus usually poses no threat to a computer's safe running. Instead, it typically installs on a computer with a less reputable antivirus and spyware blocking program. The program uses the threat of this hoax virus to pressure users into buying the full version of the antivirus software in question."

Stay clear of Avira if you don't want to be constantly hounded by that company to upgrade to its paid "full version."

Raybo333

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
Why ESET NOD32 isn't mentioned is beyond me. I've been using it for 10+ years and have never been infected by a virus. It has found things over the years and popped up on the screen to let me know. Uses very little resources and has never showed signs of slowing my computer down. Highly recommended!

G

I have tried Avast antivirus for unices (unix like operating systems ) it will install but when you try to update it just says "update failed" so I am using Clamtk AV.

halon789

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
I just got through China's hack attack at a major health insurer. Bitdefender froze and failed. Avast helped my computer quite a bit.
I don't think the above ratings accurately reflect how the softwares react in real world attacks.

ghill47

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
I agree 100% with Honeykira and SR-71 Blackbird, and the reason I agree with them is probably the same for both their comments: Once installed (on a computer), the free version of McAffee acts more like a virus than it does an antivirus. And once installed (on a computer) the free version of Avast simply will NOT leave you alone to do your work, constantly bugging you to upgrade to the paid version. I am all for paying a developer for making great software. But don't offer me a free version that "does a few things" and then hound me for the rest of my life. Just don't offer a free version at all if you're going to do that!

And for those who bash BitDefender in favor of Avast, at least please clarify whether you are talking about the free version or the paid version. People who are "serious" about antivirus and antimalware will (or should be willing to) pay for it.

Likewise, I would have found it infinitely more helpful if the author of this article had written two articles: One on the pros and cons of the free versions of each of these pieces of software, and a second article on the pros and cons of the "serious" version of each program.

halon789

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015

halon789

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
Here is an article that extensively tests and ranks antivirus software.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/summary-reports/

I don’t think the testing services want to do a stealth download of virus/malware files and then observe the software’s reaction. I believe the test is realistic and would shake up the software rankings.

girlwskls

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
After using Avast for 6 years, 4 of them paid, at $30 p/yr, they could not install the renewal this year. Instead, I was told by the technical assistant who was online to help complete the failed install, that I had malware, 2000 temp files (normal was 200) and lots of background filing that had gotten into my laptop. I thought the yearly subscription was covering some of that? Wrong. System showed no scans, eventhough I had many pop-ups that scans were happening. Yes, if I did pay $170 for Total Support they could fix everything! No, thanks! I cancelled my subscription, feeling like I had wasted 4 years of paid fees and received inadequate protection.

rgd1101

Don't

Did you just have the antivirus or the internet security suite?

japol29

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
I've used multiple Anti-Viruses and so far those were Norton, AVG, Panda, Kaspersky, and Panda Security. Until recently I've been using BitDefender too, just as this article suggests. However I've switched to SecureAPlus late last year since I've found out that they have multiple commercial AVs running at the same time, which include Norton, AVG, BitDefender, as well as others.

I was a bit skeptical at first but it didn't hurt to try since it was free. I still have it with me and it works really well. The interface needs some polish but other than that I'm quite happy with it.

Mj5

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
come down guys... pls do respect the converstion. what we need is to find the best anti virus in the world.dosent if you or we using different kind of anti virus. i do respect other using avira,bitdefender,clamXav ect..can we figure it out find the best and latest anti virus for the future?one day one of the virus much more advance than the anti virus what we have.did you all think about that. this is Mj philippines peace on earth..

Blaze Infernus

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
Please explain to me how scheduled scans benefit a user in any way if the software is actively monitoring all the time, the user can also initiate a scan at any time, and virus definitions are updated in realtime? If it can't catch something during active monitoring, and it can't catch it during a user initiated scan, how will a scheduled routine scan catch it? This makes no sense to me and unless I'm seriously missing something, it's a stupid reason to take points away from Avast and Bitdefender.

At the very least, it is certainly not a critical element to any virus scan if all other factors are in place that I'd mentioned already. Maybe you need to re-evaluate your criteria.

And no, I do not work for either of those companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.