AMD Sempron 140 Second Core Unlock?

Brand name OEM motherboards do not have options to do what you want to do. You need to replace it with a motherboard that will give you the option to do so.

Also not all Sempron 140 CPUs will allow to to successfully unlock the 2nd core. The 2nd core was locked by AMD because it did not pass certain tests after the manufacturing process. Generally speaking one of three things can happen when you attempt to unlock the core:

#1 - Successful unlock. In general it works fine , but it may not perform as well as a dual core Sempron / Athlon of the same speed.

#2 - While unlocked, the 2nd core may cause your PC to become unstable because of many small defects.

#3 - There are so many defects with the 2nd core, it may not be possible to unlock and use the 2nd core.

spidey07

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
There are no Dual Core Semprons, they're all single cores since the Athlon XP era.
I would agree on not unlocking it though, Semprons unlock rates are really low, compared to Phenom II unlock rates.
i bought a semperon 140 today! i have an asus m4n68t-m v2, and had no problem unlocking the 2nd core! amd does not make single core processors since the amd intoduced the semperon 100 series!
there are processors that do have defective cores locked out! but you'd be very surprise how little amd puts out defective equipment!

antony365

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

How did you do it ? i have same motherboard and cpu but when i unlock with the unlock feature in bios system will not boot windows 7