uTorrent: Easy way to get viruses? If so, what are good alternatives to it?

Dubnoman

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I have uTorrent. I haven't been using it (but will want to use a torrent program in the near future), but over a year ago, I used it, had a bad torrent, and got a virus from a torrent. I ended up contacting my anti-virus software company, and a guy was on the phone, and he used a program to control my computer from his computer. I paid a fee, and he used some software to clean up my infected computer, and he effectively cleaned all the viruses out of my computer.

Anyway, I told him I noticed issues with my PC as soon as I started a download with uTorrent, and he said "Yeah, uTorrent is a real easy way to get viruses. You should get a different torrent program". So, is it true that viruses pass along easily on uTorrent? If I should get a better torrent program which will make me less prone to viruses and infections, what program should I opt for? I guess those are my only questions. If anyone has any other relevant and useful information, please provide it.

Ijack

Distinguished
Any torrent program that downloads infected files will pass them on. Typically this means pirated software, movies, etc. Legal torrents (e.g. Linux distributions) are no more prone to viruses than any other download method.

Dubnoman

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

I don't pirate movies, music, PC games, or software. I wanted to use it for some unlicensed anime fansubs.