ASUS vs HP laptop

ayejimlad

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Hi

I am in the market for a laptop, I have narrowed it down to these two. The HP has the better specs but I don't have much confidence in the brand. ASUS is a brand I trust from my desktop PC. With HP I worry of overheating or a noisy fan or just cheap components in general. The ASUS looks to be a 2013 model, and the HP a 2014 model. From looking around of the internet, I read ASUS laptops are reliable, but generally only ready bad things about HP laptops.

Anyone have experience with either laptop or can give any advice? I filled in the FAQ below too so feel free to suggest anything else.

ASUS - £380
http://www.amazon.co.uk/X550CA-XX322H-15-6-inch-Notebook-i5-3337U-Integrated/dp/B00LCXGOJU/ref=psdc1_t1_B00LCXGOUE_B00LCXGOJU#productDetails

HP - £400
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-p151sa-15-6-laptop-silver-10075604-pdt.html

Thank you in advance

1. What is your budget?
£400 - could go a little higher if needed

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" - 17" screen

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1366 * 768 minimum

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not fussed

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Sometimes, probably low/medium

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Internet, Office

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 120GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
As above

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD-ROM

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
ASUS used and trusted. Open to using other brands providing hardware is good. Will be fresh installing windows 8.1 on the laptop so not worried about pre installed junk.

13. What country do you live in?
England

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

LouiseH

Estimable
Jan 4, 2015
My boyfriend has an HP and it is soooo noisy that when we speak on the phone I have to tell him to either move away from the laptop or turn it off, it's terrible! The fans go on constantly and it gets really hot. You can even hear the fan when you listen to music :-/

About the ASUS I have no clue as I'm looking for one myself :)

LouiseH