Unlock FX-6100 disabled modules (disabled cores)

taseas

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Hey guys. The thread says everything. Is there any unofficial method to unlock the 4th disabled module of the FX CPU ? I know that AMD said that the FX processors will not be unlockable, but if anyone managed to unlock it I want to know how he did it. Thanks in advance.

taseas

Honorable
May 31, 2012
panawala95 thank you for replying. I 've got an Asrock mobo with turbo ucc which suppose to unlock the cpu core (probably for the phenom series). A few months ago I updated the bios which suppose to bring turbo ucc for the FX processors but it only increases a bit the FSB and nor unlock core neither let the cpu use the cache of the locked module. I have also heard that someone in the newegg managed to unlock an FX processor.

Pinhedd

Distinguished
The cores are physically cut with a laser. They are not able to be unlocked

EDIT: You should never take anything that you read on Newegg for anything morre than what it is, a load of crap

abekl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
"You should never take anything that you read on Newegg for anything morre than what it is, a load of crap"

That's unduly harsh. There are lots of good, useful comments on Newegg. You just need to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

The signal to noise ratio on Newegg is far too low. Separating the wheat from the chaff doesn't help much unless you have some expectation of what to expect, which kinda violates the purpose of reading the comments there in the first place. Tom's is a much better place to get answers

taseas

Honorable
May 31, 2012
OK. So there's no point to looking for a way to unlock it because it is cut with laser. But there's any chance for that guy in the newegg that AMD (like many other faulty compoments of CPU which produces) "forgot" to cut the module with the laser ?

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Not so far as I am aware. When AMD released the Northern Islands GPU series (Radeon HD 6000) they used the same chip for both the HD 6970 and HD 6950. They initially only locked the 6950 in firmware which resulted in many people buying the 6950 and unlocking them to 6970s. Naturally some were buggy but most unlocked just fine. After a few weeks of this they altered the process such that the lower end chips were always physically disabled rather than only logically disabled. They made the same mistake with some of the Phenom II CPUs, but not with Bulldozer.