Razer Naga Epic Chroma Gaming Mouse Review — MMO Money, MMO Buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proxify

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
I don't know why you can't see this mouse being used for another genre besides an MMO. I use my Naga Epic Chrome for literally everything! For an FPS, the side buttons allow me to switch between weapons without leaving WASD. In Diablo 3, I can be as lazy as can be! No keyboard! I believe you gave the Naga Epic Chrome a great and accurate review, I love mine! However, I do feel like it has more potential in being a overall great mouse than your giving it credit for.

Ciborium

Estimable
Feb 15, 2015
I don't understand. MMO gaming requires immediate access to many different functions. A grid along the left is the hardest way to memorize a button layout. Worse since it relies on your least dextrous finger (the thumb) its usually very hard to reach more than the central few buttons. Furthermore it is quite easy to misclick in the heat of the battle due to the closeness of the buttons and the difficulty of remembering your position. With my Naga I often found myself finding a reference point in grid and counting down to the button I needed. In PvP this often meant my death.

I have tried other mice with the buttons clustered in different places and found them much easier to memorize. The mind finds it easer to memorize -press little finger when dying- than -count in 3x2 when in trou - drat I am dead.

Personally I love having a button between the right- and left-click buttons and the mouse wheel. That way I can trigger my main offensive and defensive skills with my two fastest fingers.

Whatever your preference the point I am making is that grid-based buttons in an MMO mouse is a horrible idea and reeks more of keyboard envy than good mouse design.

captsharp1

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015
The naga is NOT the best mouse for MMO gaming, the Logitech G600 is much better and I've tried both. The G600 is more comfortable, has an extra button next to the right click button on the mouse. This turns the 12 button thumb keypad into a 24 button pad. The layout of the 12 buttons is much better and allows for easier access during those heated moments of PVP play in any MMO game. This article was biased in favour of the naga like so many other reviews I have read in the past.

Nov 7, 2014
This mouse can be used to games like vindictus and dragon nest both realtime hack and slash with the complexity of using instant skills and magic saves you a trip to the hospital because games like this is known to be wrist breaker

Daisy81

Estimable
May 22, 2015
I have a Logitech G600 and a Razer Naga Epic Chroma. The G600 is good and has more lighting options including a pulse. However I have also found it to do things I don't like including pulsing color cycling when Windows is locked. The Razer doesn't get all out of whack on the lock screen. In fact I like the fact that when the monitors are off I can have the mouse turn off it's LEDs.

The third mouse button to the right of what by default is the right click on the Logitech is a big plus on the Logitech's side. However the side buttons are mechanical on the Razer so it's quicker to know when the button has been pressed. In addition the side buttons on the Razer have physical guides to allow you to know which button you have your finger on without stopping to glance at the mouse. In PVP using the G Shift feature of the Logitech mouse will be too slow in PVP to be accurate especially when it's more difficult to being sure which side button is being used.

I prefer the Razer Naga Epic Chroma over the Logitech G600.

Mathew_16

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
I own this mouse, and must protest the rating it is given.
Sure, the mouse is comfortable and I, unlike some others here, do not have any issue differentiating the side buttons in the heat of the moment.
On the other hand, quality control at Razer is extremely lacking. After 45 days or so of use, the colors on the mouse wheel and side buttons will no longer stay synced. I can turn them off, and on again, to get them back to the same color, but this only lasts an hour or so before they go out of sync again. This problem is minor, though, compared to the performance issues.
The mouse often decides that it no longer wants to recognize vertical movement, and the USB cable needs to be disconnected and reconnected to get it working again. This is a daily occurrence. Sometimes, too, the mouse fails to recognize ANY movement, and again needs to be reconnected to start working again.
The battery life on the mouse is nowhere near the 20 hours claimed in this review, either. More like 6 hours from full charge to dead-in-the-water. This can go up to 8 whole hours if the LEDs are turned off.
Then we come to the software. Over the past 2 weeks, I have had it fail completely 3 times. The software can no longer be opened, and needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled to work again. To make matters worse, the dpi seems to set itself to maximum when the software dies, making the mouse very difficult to use for simple Windows/Web navigation....which is what you need to do to get it working again!
So, in the end, this mouse if great when it works. Sadly, this is not often the case. If it worked as advertised without the constant bugs and headaches, 9/10 would be a fair score for it. As-is, I would rate it 3/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.