PS4 vs. Xbox One 2014: Which Console Is Right for You? (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CubicalLake7

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
XBL is a much more reliable service than PSN, PSN is constantly down. I would actually give the online experience to XBL.

Hardware wise, PS4 is more attractive, but disagree on controllers. WIth that said, controller are a matter of preference. Folks should really hold each controller and see how it feels. Me, can't stand PS4 Dual Shock, but that is because I play a lot of FPS.

Notreally

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
This is an amazing and accurate review. It's a better review than the ones from major gaming sites which is weird.

I would have to say that PSN is much better than Xbox Live in terms of reliability and features. Xbox Live has had more outages and it was hacked more often. PSN has SharePlay and faster downloads.

taternuggets

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014
"I would have to say that PSN is much better than Xbox Live in terms of reliability and features. Xbox Live has had more outages and it was hacked more often."

You are absolutely stoned out of your gourd with this statement.

travonius

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014
Two things I love about my Xbox One that aren't mentioned. First, it is extremely quiet, even when playing games. You never ever hear a fan, this was one of the most important deciding factors for me. Second, the fast resume to the last played game, even after the console is powered off and back on. This combined with having my TV run through the Xbox (no switching inputs) has me going from TV to gaming in seconds.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
When the Xbox 360 and PS3 were released the PS3 was technically the better console, but Sony lost that crown as MS kept optimizing the Xbox. Same is happening with the current gen consoles.

But I'm curious to see what Nintendo is going to do next. They have the perfect opportunity to blow both out of the water, as neither the Xbox One or PS4 are particularly exciting hardware-wise.

dmb77

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Totally agree about Nintendo having a golden opportunity here. With both of the two current leaders floundering what should be an idiot proof console cycle, Nintendo has a perfect window to deal a fatal blow to both of them. People would drop those clumsy xboxes and nevergettoplay stations in a heartbeat if Nintendo would launch a comparable platform performance wise . Nintendo's software quality has no competition from these two. Imagine a wide open- world -Metroid or Zelda with the graphics power and storage of XBone or PS4 . Would be hard to match.

PC newb 09

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014
xbox live has been down more and longer since the new systems came out, thats not speculation, its fact. check both outtage sites and its right there, xbox is less reliable

Jr1001

Estimable
May 16, 2015
Who ever wrote this is out of there mind and clearly a fan boy I've played both I had a Xbox one sold it now I'm gonna buy it again, y because of games like halo, don't get me wrong ps4's graphics are good and the controller might light up and make noise but that's about it u really can't tell that big of a difference in graphics and u can't watch tv while u game and we all have to admit the only reason ps4 is winning is because Microsoft started selling their console for $500 and kids parents were too cheap to buy it for them so they went with the alternative yes they dropped price to catch up, but really it's just a matter of time before the dashboard gets updated like always and the console just totally wrecks ps4 I mean the dashboard on ps4 still looks the same even after the update. Xbox one better exclusives more entertainment better updates.

ffhhfghjkjgf

Estimable
May 30, 2015
More like xbox biased, the ps4 has been the better system all along, the xbox looks clunky like an old colico or somethin. Plus ps4 has mlb the show... n xbox baseball sucks, n thats the deal breaker. Ps4 wins easily.

Zenizen

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
It all comes down to what games are you REALLY gonna wanna play in regards to which console provides them exclusively. Ive had a playstation since the original, so yeah thats biased. However, i did buy a 360 before i ever bought a ps3 so truthfully i was pretty please with both of the older generation consoles. Currently, I personally would just prefer the PS4 for its exclusive games and the ability to play the music i want while I play. Not saying Xbox one isnt gorgeous, because it is. I just have no need for the all-around media aspect the XboxOne DOES blow out of the water. Getting a PS4 at some point and still gonna play on my cousins Xbox one! Lol

pirateman1650

Estimable
Jun 10, 2015
You say hes is biased, but I think not. Sony has actually improved their controller and added intuitive features. Microsoft only refined their controller, but didn't offer anything really new, What did they bring to the table. Does the ps4 controller not have more features than the xbox. Does it not have a rechargeable battery. Let's add up the features and see which one has more. That's a fact you can't disprove. You say that these features don't matter. I can say the same thing about kinnect. The ps4 offers more free games, or was that part baised. That's not a fact? Does that ps4 not have more sharing options or would you like to add up those too. When ever you think I'm providing you with a false fact you let me know and then I'll show you the proof. The ps4 has more games on 1080p at 30 frames or is that also a lie? Is the ps4 not 50% more faster than the xbox? You can stop me at anytime. These facts are set in stone. You can easily find these facts on any website. So what about more shaders and more enhanced graphics. Video comparisons have already proven the ps4 is capable of more. You might think I'm a fan and I am, but I'm a man of the truth. I could care less if you bought an xbox one. I play the ps4 because I like it better. I also know that one sytem is always better. You can;t have equaly good systems even though you want them to be. They are very close in terms of hardware and features, minus of course more apps on the xbox one, but how many of those extra apps do you really need or use besides netflx or amazon prime? So being a man of facts, not opinion, and of course being non baised, we can safely say the ps4 is the better console. Facts can't not be denied, Opinions can. It's that simple.

I One I

Estimable
Jun 19, 2015
Does this person not understand what value rates? How can this person mark the PS4 higher in majority of categories, but give Xbox One the best value at a higher price? Honestly, I think it's because this person have a biased opinion and ranks in favor of PS4, while being ignorant to the capabilities of Xbox. Performance and graphics should be two categories.
Playstation has better graphics, but Xbox runs more fluent.
Playstation 3's bestselling game was gran turismo, with uncharted only having a fraction of the sales. Halo sales crippled what sony made in comparison. How are indy games going to save a gaming console?
If you've ever used xbox live you know it's social aspect is much more integrated into the experience than playstation ever was.
This is all of why xbox is a greater value; what it offers excels far past what PS4 offers.

greystar

Estimable
Jun 23, 2015
Why is this article showing up as a JUNE 19 creation tag but posts are from 2014? I think this needs to be updated. I don't see Live getting hacked like PSN. X1 will have backwards compatibility for some of their 360 games (just google it) and Indie games does not a system make :)

I would love to read a more unbiased review between the X1 and PS4 as it stands TODAY.

Technofungk

Estimable
May 20, 2014
So the author of this article says that PlayStation Network is actually better than Xbox Live? HA! I own an Xbox One (and X360), and my son owns a PS4, so what I'm about to reveal is based on actual experience with both systems. Remember when Xbox Live and PSN were both hacked during Christmas 2014, resulting in both online networks being non-functional? Microsoft successfully repaired Xbox Live within 24 hours of the attack. Sony? It took Sony 3 weeks to get their online network up and running after the hack attack. 3 WEEKS! Now here's the thing: during those 3 weeks, any new PS4 owner couldn't use the system because each new unit must connect and register itself with Sony's servers when first turned on. Needless to say, a bad scenario indeed! Sadly, network outages seem to be somewhat common with the PlayStation Network. Not "3 weeks" common (fortunately), but common enough. On the other hand, Xbox Live has been quite robust and dependable. Yes, it experiences the occasional hiccup, but NOTHING like Sony's PlayStation Network. I've been using Xbox Live since 2007, and personally have only experienced XBL being down for maybe 4 days total at best! So when determining which online gaming network is best between Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, the most important aspect should be..... scratch that..... HAS to be the dependability and stability of the network. One would expect an author writing a "tech-based" article to know this! Therefore, based on the combined experiences of my son and I within this category, the evidence is irrefutable. Microsoft's Xbox Live easily beats Sony's PlayStation Network by a mile!

joey_sfb

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Show me one cross platform game title that runs better on Microsoft platform.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

When the Xbox 360 and PS3 were released the PS3 was technically the better console, but Sony lost that crown as MS kept optimizing the Xbox. Same is happening with the current gen consoles.

But I'm curious to see what Nintendo is going to do next. They have the perfect opportunity to blow both out of the water, as neither the Xbox One or PS4 are particularly exciting hardware-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.