Toshiba laptop i5 vs i7

davef22

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Hi,

I am trying to decide between 2 laptops and it is on sale at Costco.

Toshiba L55-B5294 $579 + $99 (3 year warranty) = $679 with 3 year warranty

15.6 LED HD, 8GB DDR3 Memory, i5, 750 GB with DVD RW.

Toshiba S55-B5233 - $899
15.6 ,16GB,1 TB,i7 and no DVD.

Based on making comparisons the i5 laptop seems to be beat the buck for $679 and for 3 year warranty from Costco.

But just for an , 8GB ram extra 250 GB and an i7 the prices goes up $899.
An 8GB ram upgrade on the L55 is $91 at Kingston.

My question is the i7 really better than the i5 to pay the extra $$ and I already have a portable 1TB hard disk. I noticed that many of the laptops atleast at Costco are all sealed at the back, so we will have to be very careful when changing the RAM. Is this really a big issue when upgrading? I have upgraded RAM's on a desktop and an older DELL where we could just open the panel at the back and replace the RAM.

I will be mainly using this laptop for the following:

1. Download photos/videos from my SLR camera,
2. Checking email, facebook etc
3. Watch youtube and maybe play Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Is the i5 good enough for this? I am leaning towards the i5 because I feel it is a good buy with 3 year warranty.

Please advise.

Thank you,

SilverSeal

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
First of all 8GB will be plenty of RAM to do what you described. The RAM does not seem to be easily replaceable and Toshiba even say on their webpage: "8GB DDR3L 1600MHz (Memory is not user replaceable)"

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/L50/L55-B5294

Judging by what you intend to use it for, you will not be bottlenecking anything from having the i5 (and you get a DVD and a nice warranty on top of it).

I would say this is a simple decision for you!

By the way if I am allowed to come with a little extra advice:

if it's not vital for you to have a large hard drive, I would recommend you consider a laptop with a SSD drive (Solid State Drive) hard drive. They are usually only 128 or 256GB in the laptops in the budget range you describe, but you are likely to notice a significant boost in general quickness.